Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flickering video image in iMovie

Strange one this ...

A problem developed today while using iMovie. Clean (as in not flickering) mp4 files inported into iMovie from a source I've used for weeks develops a contrast flickering once you try and use clips from the imported files. The more you play the clips within iMovie (before a share) the more it spreads.

I've uploaded a very short video showing the problem.

Short videohttp://youtu.be/fRLa-mBEucs

Thanks in advance

Paul

iMac, iOS 7.0.3

Posted on Jun 1, 2014 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2017 1:17 AM

Thank you !!! - This worked for me with my GoPro Hero Session. Interestingly, previous clips I've edited from that camera that were shot in 25fps were fine with no flickering and it only seemed that it was clips shot in 50fps with the Low Light setting set to 'auto'. And as other people had noted the original clips when watched in the finder straight off the card did not flicker at all, only after they had been imported to iMovie. The other thing to note is the clips off the GoPro are .mp4 files and when they have been opened and exported via Quiktime they are then .mov files, so maybe thats something to do it? Regardless, this 'open in quicklime and then export' step did fix the problem although it is a pain to have to do this.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2017 1:17 AM in response to liquidapples1

Thank you !!! - This worked for me with my GoPro Hero Session. Interestingly, previous clips I've edited from that camera that were shot in 25fps were fine with no flickering and it only seemed that it was clips shot in 50fps with the Low Light setting set to 'auto'. And as other people had noted the original clips when watched in the finder straight off the card did not flicker at all, only after they had been imported to iMovie. The other thing to note is the clips off the GoPro are .mp4 files and when they have been opened and exported via Quiktime they are then .mov files, so maybe thats something to do it? Regardless, this 'open in quicklime and then export' step did fix the problem although it is a pain to have to do this.

Sep 9, 2017 6:11 AM in response to paulappleby

This seems to be a problem with having the auto brightness active on the go pro, really annoying. I had already edited all my clips together before I noticed. If you need to fix this you can re-encode the video using something like handbrake and just replace the original video file within the ~/movies/iMovie Library/project name/Original Media just make sure the file names are the same, this will remove whatever meta data is causing the problems.

Jun 13, 2014 6:23 AM in response to Dennie Spreeuwenberg

I haved called Apple support and they where not able to tell me what the problem is. After some tests with their content there were not issue's.

I founded that IMovie has some problems with my recorded 1080i signal. After converting it (with Handbrake) the problem was solved. Feature video's will be recorded directly in 1080P or 720P.

I hope this will help you as well.

Regards,

Dennie

Flickering video image in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.