Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband 10 going SOOO slow...help please.

Hello everyone,

I just downloaded the newest version of Garageband (v.10) and now I've noticed that it is going extremely slow. This is a brand new iMac I'm running it on. My specs are as folllows:

27 inch model

3.2 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5

8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM

1TB HD

I really feel like my computer should be running this without a problem. Why is it lagging so hard?

I don't have any other programs running (besides an instance of Safari).

The reason I'm worried is because I have a project coming up in which I will need to crank out a LOT of music in a very short period of time. I need this thing to be operating at top capacity.

Is there something I'm missing?

Is it possible to revert back to the older version of Garageband that I know worked just fine?

PLEASE HELP, I'm in trouble if I can't fix this.

GarageBand (Mac) '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Jun 1, 2014 10:10 AM

1 reply

Jun 1, 2014 10:22 AM in response to AJMetal9

I don't have any other programs running (besides an instance of Safari)

Safari can be a memory hog - if in doubt, quit Safari, before working with GarageBand.

Is it possible to revert back to the older version of Garageband that I know worked just fine?

If you did not delete your older GarageBand version, when you upgraded, it will be still installed. The GarageBand installer will have moved it to a subfolder of Applications -look for a folder GarageBand 6.0.5 in Applications. You can use both GarageBand version in parallel, no problem.

and now I've noticed that it is going extremely slow

Try to narrow down the problem. Is this the same on all projects?

Then check, if you have incompatible audio units installed. GarageBand 10.0 is not compatible with older Audio Units. And if you are using audio interfaces, check, if there are updates for the drivers.

See: GarageBand for Mac (v10.0): Unexpected behavior with Audio Units plug-ins

Garageband 10 going SOOO slow...help please.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.