Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SecurityAgent hangs when authorizing changes to Certificate Trust Settings

I frequently encounter this totally blocking problem when attempting to authorize changes to Certificate Trust Settings.

This occurs when

1. A dialog is presented when app such as Mail encounters a certificate whose identity is unknown.
  2. You choose to show details and select the option to "Always trust (server) when connecting to…"
  3. Click Connect
  4. A System authorization dialog appears and immediately hangs
  5. in Activity Monitor, "SecurityAgent" is shown as not responding.

At this point there is no legitimate way to shut down or restart the Mac other than forcing a power down, since (presumably) SecurityAgent is involved in the normal shutdown process.

After restarting, when the process happens again, I am able to successfully authorize the certificate. It only occurs if the computer has been up and running for a while (hours? days?)

User uploaded file

Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 1, 2014 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2014 5:18 PM

Thanks for this. Having the same issue with the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client (RDC). You pointing out that it clears for a bit after rebooting helped.

Now I just force quit SecurityAgent and get back to work. Not a fix, but quicker than a full reboot.

31 replies

Aug 12, 2014 9:50 AM in response to Andrew Macrae

Update - this is still a problem with Mavericks (10.9.4), although it is slightly less a total blocker. If I have Activity Monitor open and scrolled to the S's and have a Terminal window open when the certificate dialog appears, I'm able to use Terminal to kill the process. No longer need to force a power shutdown. But beware, you won't be able to scroll the Activity Monitor window once SecurityAgent locks up.

Oct 2, 2014 5:35 PM in response to Andrew Macrae

I had the same problem with 10.9.4 when connecting to our corporate WiFi. The WiFi network authentication uses server certificates that have the following signature chain:

- one of the server certificates

- intermediate cert: Cybertrust Public SureServer SV CA

- root cert: Baltimore CyberTrust Root

Apple has this root cert in the System Roots keychain, with System Default trust. The intermediate cert wasn't present in any of the keychains.

What I did to avoid the problem was to add both the intermediate cert and the root cert to the System keychain, and set trust levels for both to Always Trust. After this, the Certificate Trust Settings dialog no longer appears. But this is clearly only a workaround, not a fix for the problem of SecurityAgent locking up.

May 26, 2015 2:52 PM in response to Andrew Macrae

Problem persists in Yosemite (10.10.3). To recap, the workaround is this:

When you see the unknown certificate dialog:

1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Scroll down to the "S" - although you won't see it you need to be where "SecurityAgent" will show up (sort by Process Name!)
  3. Select "Always Trust" in the dialog then "Connect"
  4. The user authorization dialogue will appear. If it doesn't lock up, fine… but if it doesn't:
  5. Select "SecurityAgent" in the Activity Monitor and force quit.

If you really need to authorize the certificate, your best chance is after a recent restart. The locking up problem is definitely related to how long the computer has been running.

Jul 3, 2015 4:58 PM in response to Andrew Macrae

Well I just added a few steps to your recap, I am under 10.10.4 and this keeps happening.

Problem persists in Yosemite (10.10.3). To recap, the workaround is this:

When you see the unknown certificate dialog:

1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Scroll down to the "S" - although you won't see it you need to be where "SecurityAgent" will show up (sort by Process Name!)
  3. Select "Always Trust" in the dialog then "Connect"
  4. The user authorization dialogue will appear. If it doesn't lock up, fine… but if it doesn't:
  5. Select "SecurityAgent" in the Activity Monitor and force quit.
  6. Go to Keychain Access an find the certificate that caused the problem
  7. Click the trust triangle and choose "Always Trust"
  8. The dialog appears but this time Security Agent don't crash.
  9. Authorize with your password, next time you open the service that generated the certificate it wont cry.

Note: You may have the same certificate for different services (mail or safari), you need to authorize the certificate for every single one.

SecurityAgent hangs when authorizing changes to Certificate Trust Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.