Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

just updated to 11.2.2 and now itunes will not start up

Just installed itunes 11.2.2 update and now itunes will not open.

iMac

Posted on Jun 1, 2014 2:46 PM

5 replies

Jun 3, 2014 12:58 AM in response to kbarkop

Have a similar problem, in that in both get info and in size column, iTunes.app shows "0bytes." The app initialy would not open using either "double click" on icon or using "open" in drop-down command menu.

The app has now decided to function, apparently correctly (have not checked all functions, thus apparently correctly is based solely on playing two music selections and one music video), but still shows no disk space usage, This cannot be true or the app would not open.

Am very concerned that the entire iTunes app will crash, in the process, destroying over five years of music, videos, apps, podcasts, movies, etc.

Have tried removing this "0-bytes" iTunes - which cannot be trashed as it's part of system and reloading new over old .app from just-downloaded 11.2.2.dmg file.

Any suggestions?

Jul 1, 2014 1:51 PM in response to kbarkop

Same problem. I watch it on activity monitor and moments after launch, if you click "allow" to connect with Apple, (Why wouldn't you?!!! How else do you get your audio/podcasts etc.?!!) iTunes ramps up activity to 100%CPU then stops responding (Crash).

Also, I note that iTunes does not recognize that my ipod is attached, but that may be because it crashed before it launched the connection and put it in the sidebar. "About this Mac" shows that the computer sees the ipod on the USB line.

Sent the crash report, but --- Does anyone actually do anything with those?? I have my doubts!!

While I am waiting, I have been using Dog Catcher on my Android phone which works quite well, and I do not need to sync via a computer. It has wrinkles, but overalli s less frustrating than living with the Apple tether - especially considering that it doesn' t "Just work!"

Jul 1, 2014 2:47 PM in response to kbarkop

It is frustrating, and you can't get Apple support or even acknowledgement of a problem with their software unless you are still under warranty with a device.

You can use this chat room, but you won't see an Apple employee respond. So... So... So...??? Crash reports apparently dissappear into the cloud

It just us folks! If you are a develper, you can try to make sense of the crash logs, and cryptic Activity monitor reports, But good luck with that!

Apple makes nice hardware and gives away the software to get you in their camp. The observed behaviour is that Apple does not support "old" software or devices to get you to buy more hardware. Perhaps another example of "there is no free lunch", but it seriously ***** nonetheless.

just updated to 11.2.2 and now itunes will not start up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.