Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to make a system back-up from an eMac

I have a 2002 eMac (PowerPC G4, 700 MHz, 1 GB ram with a Sony CD-RW drive) running OS X 10.3.5. It still runs great and I would like to donate it, but before I do I want to wipe the hard drive to get rid of my personal data. That will mean re-installing the OS but I no longer have the original installation disks.

Can I make a bootable CD of the OS from the computer's own files? Alternately, can I securely wipe out my data without affecting the OS? (I have found copies of the OS disks for sale on eBay and Amazon but am not willing to pay $40+ for one.)

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.3.x), eMac PowerPC G4, 70 Mhz, 1 GB Ram

Posted on Jun 1, 2014 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2014 2:35 PM

You should be able to clone the drive to an external hard drive using Disk Utility. Or create a new user account. Log into the new account then delete your old account. I believe when you delete an account you have an option to do it using Secure Erase which will securely remove everything of yours from prying eyes. However, if it does not give you an option to do so with one pass, then be prepared for it to take hours to finish.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2014 2:35 PM in response to MaryRB

You should be able to clone the drive to an external hard drive using Disk Utility. Or create a new user account. Log into the new account then delete your old account. I believe when you delete an account you have an option to do it using Secure Erase which will securely remove everything of yours from prying eyes. However, if it does not give you an option to do so with one pass, then be prepared for it to take hours to finish.

Jun 1, 2014 6:32 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy, I tried the new account route but when I went to delete my old account, it did not give me an option to Secure Erase. Instead I got a message that said something to the effect that the user's folder would be saved unless I clicked on Delete Immediately. I did that and my account disappeared from the list in System Preferences: Accounts. Does that mean it is securely erased? I'm skeptical and thinking I should still wipe the hard drive to be sure. What do you think?

Jun 1, 2014 6:44 PM in response to MaryRB

Apparently, that option was not available on that old system software. See if this works. Open Disk Utility. Select your disk volume and click on the Erase tab in the Disk Utility main window. See if there is an Erase Free Space button:

User uploaded file

If so click on it. You may have several options to choose the number of passes to use. One pass is sufficient and will be quicker than the others.

Jun 1, 2014 7:30 PM in response to Kappy

Hmmm... When I click on the Erase tab, it tells me to select the volume, then select the format and name (as you show above). However the Format menu is grayed out, so that I can't do anything with it. The Options and Erase buttons are also grayed out. (There is not Erase Free Space button.) Do you suppose I screwed up by deleting my account earlier?

Thanks again for your help!

I should mention that there is only one volume to choose.

Jun 1, 2014 10:27 PM in response to MaryRB

You did fine. It's just that these options are not present in your version of OS X because it's too old. If you are concerned about your security, then all you can do is repartition the drive then reformat it and reinstall OS X. But what you have done so far is fine. You did not screw up anything. 😀

Jun 2, 2014 9:05 AM in response to Kappy

So, just to be sure understand: you think I've done enough just by deleting my account? Is that why there was nothing to erase and the options were grayed out? My documents, etc., aren't still lurking somewhere that a techie could find them?

Also, if I do decide to reinstall OS X, why do I need to partition the drive?

My apologies if these questions seem simple minded. I'm not afraid to try things on my Mac but I don't always understand what is going on under the hood.

Jun 2, 2014 2:46 PM in response to MaryRB

You have done all you can do with that version of OS X. However, deleting the account does not assure that your information is safe. You would need to securely erase free space, but your version of Disk Utility cannot do that.

You could see if third-party software will help:

SecureErase 0.1

ShredIt 5.0

FileVaporizer 0.5b

The above should work with your version of OS X, but I have no experience with any of them.

Jun 2, 2014 4:09 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for going the extra mile with me. I've looked at these programs but am not sure they will achieve what I want. I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and wipe the hard drive. BTW I did find the original OS X installation disks that came with the computer - I couldn't believe that I had discarded them and it turns out I hadn't, just had them buried in a file cabinet. Since by deleting my account I've lost any files that were left, I guess I have nothing to lose by erasing everything and starting over.

Thanks again for your suggestions and support. The Apple community is such a wonderful group!

Trying to make a system back-up from an eMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.