Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install Mavericks on unsupported MacPro, really impossible?

Hi guys,

Can I install Mavericks on unsupported 2 x 2,66 GHz Dual-Core 2006 MacPro Intel Xeon?

One important thing : I'm already running OSX LION, thanks to a relatively new graphic card (ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB) that allows that.

I heard that there are some methods (Sfott app, converting 64 to 32). Does that work? Anyone knows other or better methods?

(As long as Mavericks is free and I can download it from my newer mac, shouldn't be illegal to ask for help on this forum, right?).

thanks

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 2, 2014 2:19 AM

5 replies

Jun 2, 2014 2:39 AM in response to martinirosso

OS X 10.7 "Lion"

(Unofficially, can run OS X 10.8"Mountain Lion" and 10.9"Mavericks" with an upgrade to a supported graphics card and EFI64 emulation)[30][31]

refs 30 and 31

1. Kessler, Topher (July 25, 2012). "OS X Mountain Lion can run on unsupported Intel Mac Pros | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews". Reviews.cnet.com. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
  2. Jump up^ "OS X Mavericks on an Original Mac Pro", FairerPlatform, 14 October 2013

Jul 29, 2015 5:29 PM in response to martinirosso

sfott is the best solution yet. It uses your existing 32-bit firmware, then adds 64-bit firmware (in main memory, not in the internal firmware store) to it. As such it is NOT possible to use this to build a Hackintosh (Mac OS X built on a non-Apple PC).

You need to have enough RAM to do this trick, and it works for ONE version of Mac OS X -- if you decide to upgrade Mac OS X, even a minor version, you have to install the unsupported hacks again for the new version.

The biggest problem of doing this is not the complexity -- it is the uncertainty. When you have a problem in future, ¿was it caused by ordinary Hardware and Software issues, or by installing an unsupported version of Mac OS X?

Because of this, the best candidates to use these hacks are folks who are developers, or think like developers and can do some rudimentary debugging if things are going badly. If you are strictly a creative type, I suggest you apply your energy to your creative pursuits, and avoid these unsupported hacks, as they can force you to become a Mac expert against your will.

Install Mavericks on unsupported MacPro, really impossible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.