Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Apple TV use an IR extender?

Howdy

I have limited space to install my Apple TV. The best option is to place it inside a cabinet, behind a wood cabinet door. I'd like to use an IR extender to accomplish this else I'll have to cut the cabinet to expose the IR receiver (lot of work).

Has anyone succeeded in either using the USB or other input ports on the Apple TV to accomplish this? Perhaps there are other options?

Thanks

Dane

Apple TV, Other OS

Posted on Jun 2, 2014 4:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2014 5:45 AM

Considering the very limited nature of inputs to the device, very doubtful.

6 replies

Jun 2, 2014 8:34 AM in response to Pook-60

if you mean one of those 2 small boxes one which you place outside which recieve IR and the other you put inside which retransmit the same signal to the sensor on the appletv then

I don't see why not it should be transparent to the appletv that it's the IR sender and not the real appletv remote

which is sending the correct IR signals at it

I use my logitec harmony 1 universal remote and the appletv have no idea it's not an original remote

Jun 2, 2014 6:24 PM in response to Rudegar

Howdy Gents (James & Rudegar)

As it turns out the mini-USB is not programmed to accept and interface an IR extender (as learned from the local Apple store this morning).

That said...an "IR Repeater" is the best option. As it turns out there is an entire family of these things on the market and the one I've chosen is about $30 ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009ZGK6QS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1ie=UTF8&psc

=1&smid=A2VZTJP6N0Z6QLg )

I'll go ahead and install this without having to do cabinet work.

Thanks for spinning me the right ditrection.

Dane

Mar 25, 2015 5:53 PM in response to Pook-60

I did not get good results with the Smarthome Hidden IR Repeater System model 59501. It works well with my Yamaha AV receiver, LG Blu Ray Player, and Sony CD turn table, but works very erratically with my Direct TV box/DVR and Mu Apple TV. A friend in the home theater business says that it is very well known in the professional home theater community that these two devices are very sensitive and are easily overdiven and confused. I tried putting a 1 K trim pot in series with the LED bud, but so far, have not been able to successfully solder to the coated wire inside the very small cable. Solder flux and careful scraping were not successful. 8 layers of Scitch brabd matte finish tape worked for a little while, but not now. I'm quite frustrated.

Mar 27, 2015 8:20 AM in response to tomcfc

tomcfc wrote:

I did not get good results with the Smarthome Hidden IR Repeater System model 59501. It works well with my Yamaha AV receiver, LG Blu Ray Player, and Sony CD turn table, but works very erratically with my Direct TV box/DVR and Mu Apple TV. A friend in the home theater business says that it is very well known in the professional home theater community that these two devices are very sensitive and are easily overdiven and confused. I tried putting a 1 K trim pot in series with the LED bud, but so far, have not been able to successfully solder to the coated wire inside the very small cable. Solder flux and careful scraping were not successful. 8 layers of Scitch brabd matte finish tape worked for a little while, but not now. I'm quite frustrated.

And I have no troubles with either Apple TV or Directv DVRs with my Harmony 900 repeaters ...

Can Apple TV use an IR extender?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.