Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes unresponsive iphone 5

Itunes hangs when connecting my iphone 5 and I followed the troubleshooting guide but the guide stops if this issue still continues. I highlighted the step below in red and hoping someone can redirect me to further troubleshooting steps. Still haven't solved my problem:

iTunes: May become unresponsive when connecting iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Symptoms

In rare instances, iTunes may become unresponsive when connecting an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to your computer. iTunes may become responsive again after you disconnect the device from the computer.

Resolution

Expand All Sections | Collapse All Sections

Follow the steps below to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Install any available software updates for your computer.
    • For Mac OS X: Click the Apple () menu, choose Software Update, and follow the on-screen instructions.
    • For Windows: Refer to the documentation for your computer for instructions on using Windows Update to update your computer.
  2. Update iTunes to the latest version.
    • For Mac OS X: Click the Apple () menu, choose Software Update, and follow the on-screen instructions. You can also download iTunes from the Apple website.
    • For Windows: Use Apple Software Update, or download iTunes from the Apple website.
  3. Test with automatic syncing disabled.
    • For Mac OS X: Click the iTunes menu and choose Preferences. Click the Devices tab and place a check next to option to "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically." Click OK.
    • For Windows: Click the Edit menu and choose Preferences. Click the Devices tab and place a check next to option to "Prevent iPods, iPhones and iPads from syncing automatically." Click OK.
    Reconnect your device and test to see if the issue still occurs. If your device is recognized successfully, you may be able to isolate which type of data is causing the issue. Do this by deselecting all syncing options under each of the syncing tabs and then sync. After that, re-enable your sync options one at a time until the issue returns.
    Note: If the issue only occurs when syncing data from the Info tab is enabled (For example: Contact, Calendar, Mail account or Bookmark syncing), reset the Sync History (for Mac OS X instructions see this article, for Windows see this article).
  4. Check your device for podcasts. If there are any podcasts, manually delete all podcast episodes from the device by sliding your finger across the podcast episode's name and tapping Delete. Once all podcasts are removed from your device, reconnect it to the computer, open iTunes, and test.
  5. If possible, test to see if connecting your device to a different computer with the latest version of iTunes installed resolves the issue.
  6. Test with iTunes plug-ins removed.
    • Quit iTunes.
    • Navigate to the following folder, based on your operating system:
      Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunes Plug-ins
      Windows Vista or Windows 7: C:\Users\[username]\App Data\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunes Plug-ins
      Mac OS X:
      • ~/Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins (The "~" represents your Home folder)
      • /Library/iTunes/iTunes Plug-ins
    • If any files are in this folder, move them to the Desktop temporarily.
    • Open iTunes and test to see if the issue is resolved. If so, you may leave these iTunes plug-ins removed. If you wish to re-use these iTunes plug-ins, consult the vendor for the iTunes plug-ins to see if any updates are available.

If the issue also occurs on a different computer:

If the issue does not occur on a different computer, or no other computer is available to try:

It can be useful to determine if the issue affects a specific computer user account or all accounts.
Follow the steps below for your operating system to create a new user account to test.

Windows XP

Windows Vista or Windows 7

Mac OS X

If the issue still occurs in a new user:

If the issue does not occur in a new user:

Test with an alternate iTunes Library.

• Log out of the new user and log back in to the original user.
  • Create a new iTunes library by following steps in this article.
  • Connect the device to see if the issue still occurs.
  • If the issue does not occur with a new blank iTunes library, quit iTunes and switch back to the original library as follows:
    Windows: Reopen iTunes while holding down the Shift key. When prompted, click Choose Library. Navigate to and select the original iTunes library file. By default, the iTunes Library files are stored in the following locations:
    • Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\My Music\iTunes
    • Windows Vista: C:\users\[username]\Music\iTunes
    • Windows 7: C:\users\[username]\My Music\iTunes
    Mac OS X: Reopen iTunes while holding down the Option key. When prompted, click Choose Library. Navigate to and select the original iTunes library file. By default, the iTunes Library files are stored in~/Music/iTunes.
  • Then, rebuild the original iTunes library files by following this article.

Above in red, it states that if the issue does "not" occur. But after creating a new library, the problem still persists but the article ends there and doesn't provide instruction if the problem still persists. I don't want to rebuild my library just to learn that this wasn't the problem in the first place.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1, itunes

Posted on Jun 2, 2014 12:18 PM

1 reply

itunes unresponsive iphone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.