Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

pdfs won't open - missing plug-in message

Hello, I am using a Windows 7 computer, but test my websites on all different browsers. I cannot open any pdfs that are linked in a site using Safari. I get the message "missing plug-in" which then takes me to Adobe Acrobat. but I have the up to date software.

Can anyone tell me what the issue is? I have Adobe 11.0.06 and Safari 5.1.7.

Thank you. Client is annoyed, he uses a mac and can't open it and assumes it is my fault.

Posted on Jun 2, 2014 1:13 PM

10 replies

Jun 2, 2014 2:05 PM in response to marys477

FYI > Apple dropped support for Safari for Windows > Apple apparently kills Windows PC support in Safari

But for Apple / Safari PDF isssues...

Open a Finder window then from the menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following:

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

Click Go.

If you see the: AdobePDFViewer plugin in the Internet Plug-Ins folder, move it to the trash.

Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

Jun 2, 2014 3:47 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks for your reply Carolyn, unfortunately it didn't help me. I didn't have that AdobePDFViewer plugin. (and you were likely giving me help if I had an apple machine?)

Trouble is, the client who has a mac, can't see the pdf either! (although they haven't replied on what browser they use). Thanks for the heads up on Safari for Windows.

pdfs won't open - missing plug-in message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.