Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring a Minimized Window from Dock

I've been searching for a keystroke to restore an application or a window of an application that I've minimized (Command-M) to the Dock. My search has not been successful.

With some applications Command-1 will work, but not often.

I'm wondering if there is a standard key combination to do this. If not, I know I can create a user keyboard shortcut, but I don't know how to create the black diamond character or if that would even work.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Posted on Jun 2, 2014 4:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2016 2:48 AM

To re-open (Maximise) the minimised window, Go to the window that which you want to maximise by windows navigation keyboard shortcut command + tab. Release only tab button.

Keep pressing command button and press option button.
Now pressing option button release command button, the windows will be maximised.

It will be little boring at first but as time goes, you'll get used to it.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 27, 2016 2:48 AM in response to BflatBlues

To re-open (Maximise) the minimised window, Go to the window that which you want to maximise by windows navigation keyboard shortcut command + tab. Release only tab button.

Keep pressing command button and press option button.
Now pressing option button release command button, the windows will be maximised.

It will be little boring at first but as time goes, you'll get used to it.

Jun 2, 2014 9:38 PM in response to BflatBlues

Thank you for the suggestions. It seems so simple when you have a bunch of windows open just to Command-M the one(s) you want to minimize or even Command-Option-M to minimize all of them. I thought there’d be as simple a method for un-minimizing them.

One thing I discovered is to hit the up or down arrow while the app is highlighted using Command-Tab. This displays all of that application’s minimized windows. Then you can arrow to the one you want to un-minimize and hit the Enter key. It works, but it’s neither elegant nor simple.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

Jun 2, 2014 5:54 PM in response to BflatBlues

I don't know of any system wide 'de-minimize' shortcut. Command+1 is usually to show the main app window (or cmd+alt+1 for apps that copy iTunes's weird shortcuts – ahem Spotify).

What is the 'black diamond' you are referring to? What menu has that?

It may be possible to work out what the character is via the 'Character/ Keyboard viewer'. Open System Preferences & enable the Keyboard & character viewer menu item in the Keyboard section.

Open the Keyboard viewer from the new menu & see if various keyboard combinations can make the 'diamond' show up. Otherwise you may need to dig through the Character viewer (or post screengrabs & hope someone recognizes it).

Jun 2, 2014 7:39 PM in response to BflatBlues

The diamond is just a marker to show that it is minimized, as opposed to a checkmark which is the frontmost window.

Not really a shortcut, per se, but you can turn on the shortcut for the Dock in Keyboard System Prefs, Shortcuts, Keyboard. I changed all of the common ones to things I can remember, like ctrl-opt-D for Dock.

Once activated, start typing the name of the app (or arrow over), then arrow up to open the App menu, then type the name of the window that is minimized. Or, type a number which will move to the first item (unless you've started a document name with a number).

You can do the same for the Menus, although navigation is a little easier. Space or return will drop the menu.

Restoring a Minimized Window from Dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.