Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Massive unknown backup

Hi all,

I was trying to get rid of unwanted files and clean my HDD and external HDD when I noticed my external HDD had a massive amount of backup data on it. Of the 2TB available, 900GB is taken by this 'backup'. I don't know what it is or where it came from since I haven't created a backup for over a year.

I found this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4878?viewlocale=en_US could be the problem. I wanted to ask before I proceed though. When I use these commands in Terminal it tells me it might lead to data loss or deletion of important system files. Is this really a safe method? If so, do I have to turn it back on again afterwards? Will my Macbook suffer if I don't turn it back on?

I hope someone can help me on this case. Sorry if there are numerous discussions about this topic already, but I didn't know what to put in search to find a match.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Jun 2, 2014 6:29 PM

18 replies

Jun 3, 2014 4:45 AM in response to Linc Davis

I do 'use' it. I turned it on when I got my external HDD to assign it to it. My last backup is from april 2013 though. If by using you meant if I can make a backup now (if that's still a wise thing to do), then yes.

I also scanned my external HDD with disk utility and sadly got an error.

User uploaded file

First red sentence says: Wrong amount of threadrecords (supposed to be 955189 instead of 955190)

(is this really a problem if it detects more errors when there are less?)

Last red sentence: Error: This disk needs to be restored. Click 'restore disk'.

Jun 3, 2014 5:35 AM in response to diverqent

It should not, but it may, if you can get it backed up before the repair you should.

To perform a repair you will need to reboot to a different disk or partition.To do this you will hold the Command and R keys down at the sound of the startup chime, hold them until the recovery partition loads then choose Disk Uitility from the menu and repair the external drive.

Jun 3, 2014 6:36 AM in response to diverqent

I'm not suggesting that you move any data.

You should be able to buy a USB hard drive for less than the equivalent of $100 U.S. If the safety of your data isn't worth that much to you, you can try repairing the drive. Be aware that it has malfunctioned at least once and should be expected to do so again. The result may be that you will be unable to restore from a backup when you need to.

Jun 3, 2014 6:50 AM in response to Linc Davis

I thought you meant moving the data, then repair the external HDD, then put it back on. Is this not what you were trying to say? I'll ask some friends if they have an external HDD to put the data on so that I can repair it. Will repairing it make sure it won't malfunction again?

*edit: one of my roommates just gave me his external HDD. So what's the next step to do?

Jun 3, 2014 7:15 AM in response to Linc Davis

It's all a bit vague to me. Sorry if I'm being annoying. I'm confused about this comment:

You should immediately back up to another external drive. You need more than one backup anyway, as one is not enough to be safe. Put the old drive aside and don't use it until you're sure you'll no longer need the data. Then erase it and start over. If it ever misbehaves again, get rid of it.

You're telling me to back up the data on my external drive to another drive. Do you mean moving, copying? What do you mean by 'put it aside until you're sure you'll no longer need the data. Then erase it and start over.'? Should I delete the entire external HDD and reinstall once I secured my files? Does this prevent it from malfunctioning again?

Massive unknown backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.