Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clicking on Xcode opens app store instead.

Xcode was working well on my MacBook Pro. Then suddenly one day, when I tried to open Xcode, it is opening appstore instead. Xcode simply doesn't open. How to rectify this?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jun 3, 2014 12:46 AM

6 replies

Jul 22, 2015 5:56 PM in response to jason269

I have this problem too. The issue is that if I check the apple store it indicates that there are no updates available, only the upgrade to the OS X Yosemite.

My OS version is OS X Mountain Lion (10.9.5)

I have the xcode version 5 (cannot check the exact version as it does not start).

Another thing I notice is that there are also 4 incompatible update highlighted (but there is no indication of what this means exactly or how to fix it. Anyway the 4 incompatible updates are on 4 applications which are not, I believe, related to xcode: iMovie, Keynote, Numbers and Pages).

Any advice?

Thanks

Jul 23, 2015 6:13 AM in response to Paul Conaway

This is what I thought, but if they don't have anything to do with xcode 5... why when I start the application (even offline) the app store start in place of xcode?

It was working fine until some time ago: now not anymore?

Does it mean that Apple is trying to force me to upgrade my OS to Yosemite? I really don't want to do that as I am happy with the version I have installed (which gives me more power in order to check all apps I have installed and the look and feel).

Anyone as any tips on how to solve this?

Thanks

Aug 2, 2015 9:59 PM in response to Nola.it

I have the same exact problem and this really is a major issue that Apple should address. When I try to open Xcode it opens the app store instead, leaving me with no way to continue working on my projects and with a big client coming in tomorrow.

This is unbelievable, can someone from Apple please tell me how to resolve without installing Yosemite? Or are you saying we are FORCED to purchase the new operating system to keep using Xcode?

Sincerely,

Aug 8, 2015 4:10 AM in response to edub008

edub008,

I find out a solution. I am not totally sure why (as it was working without any problem before) but it looks like the issue is related to a download from the App Store which got stuck in some way. I could see in the folder of the application in fact that the xcode icon was in status "paused".

I resolved this issue as it follow:

1. open a terminal
  2. type the following command line and press enter "open $TMPDIR../C/". This will open a folder in Finder showing a number of cache folder for different applications
  3. delete the folder "com.apple.appstore", then quit and start again.

It looks that this solved also similar issues with the App Store.

Hope it helps, best

Nicola

Clicking on Xcode opens app store instead.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.