Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBookPro Maverick 10.9.3 DVD Drive issues

Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro and just downloaded OS X Maverick 10.9.3. Now I am unable to insert CDs and when I try to open my DVD player it says "error no valid DVD drive could be found". Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Jun 3, 2014 5:44 AM

3 replies

Aug 10, 2014 6:38 PM in response to matt00

I'm having the same problem. DVD player isn't playing commercial discs that played perfectly in the past.

The previous links mentioned don't seem at all related. My drive is an internal one and they say not to remove the battery for an SMC on this model of MacBook.

I thought it might be the computer's entire drive was busted, but I can burn a DVD just fine it just won't play it. So I'm wondering if it's the DVD player app. Is there a way to re-install the DVD player app? Is this a 'Genius Bar' fix?

Thanks for continuing to work on this issue.

Mine: MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Feb 3, 2015 9:41 AM in response to mjg1983

FIRMWARE UPDATE FOR INTERNAL SUPERDRIVE

This might help. If you haven't done so yet, try installing Apple's SuperDrive Firmware Update 3.0, which is on Apple's support site at http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201953 to see if that resolves it. Although it's not specifically for that problem, the firmware update seems to be important for making external SuperDrives work in Yosemite, and it is one step I used to get my SuperDrive to work in a USB external case when plugged into my MacBook Pro.

Please let us know either way, whether the firmware update helps or not in your situation.

MacBookPro Maverick 10.9.3 DVD Drive issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.