Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You need a newer version of Numbers to open this spreadsheet.

Every time I try to open one of my existing spread sheets I get this window that pops up. It reads "You need a newer version of Numbers to open this spreadsheet." So I click on the APP store go to updates, and there are none available. So I go to the app it's self and it reads Installed.. Please help.

if relevant

MacBook Air

13-inch, Mid 2012

Processor 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Software OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Jun 3, 2014 11:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2014 12:44 PM

Knu,

This can happen if you have both Numbers V2 and Numbers V3 and don't keep straight which you are using.

A document that has been created or edited in V3 can't be opened by V2. These documents must only be edited with version 3 now. You may not remember, but the first time you tried to edit a given V2 document in V3, it warned you and gave you the option to work on a copy.

Jerry

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2014 12:44 PM in response to Knu50s

Knu,

This can happen if you have both Numbers V2 and Numbers V3 and don't keep straight which you are using.

A document that has been created or edited in V3 can't be opened by V2. These documents must only be edited with version 3 now. You may not remember, but the first time you tried to edit a given V2 document in V3, it warned you and gave you the option to work on a copy.

Jerry

Jun 4, 2014 1:06 AM in response to Knu50s

Hi Knu,

Wayne Contello has written a User Tip for working with the old and new versions of iWork.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6991

The trick is to drag icons for both versions to your Dock. Right click or control click on each and Options > Keep in Dock. That puts you in charge of which version you launch.

Here is a screen shot of both Numbers icons on my Dock.

Numbers 2.3 (Numbers '09) on the left with a three column graph.

Numbers 3.2 on the right with a four column graph.

User uploaded file

Both versions will run happily together. Just be sure which version is opening your document.

Instead of double clicking the document, run whichever version of Numbers/Pages/Keynote suits and use File > Open.

Regards,

Ian.

You need a newer version of Numbers to open this spreadsheet.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.