Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Profile Manager not being backed up in Time Machine?

----

TL;DR

- Server 3.1.2 on mavericks 10.9.3 with profile manager/OD with regular time machine backups being taken

- Did a time machine restore back to the previous hour, now server restore hangs on profile manager service update

- apple support said its because we're using .local in our OD/AD setup

- then why is postgres failing to even start!?!?

- anyone else with issues/solutions to restoring a service relying on postgres from a time machine backup?

----

I needed to roll back my os x server running server 3.1.2 and mavericks 10.9.3 because of some bad profiles made in profile manager, so I thought it would be a simple task to simply restore from the time machine backup fom the previous hour. Just return the system to before the changes were made and everything would be good, right?

After the time machine restore completed and I logged back in, I fired up server. It started to update services...and then just hung. From browsing the logs, I could see it got stuck when trying to restore profile manager. There seemed to be some issue with postgres and not being able to connect to the database, so it just kept saying that he process was dying and then would try again and again in an infinite loop.

After spending a few hours on the phone with apple education support (we're an educational institution), they deduced that the reason profile manager wasn't working after the time machine restore was because we're running OD/AD with a .local domain.....to which I respectfully disagree. Now I know that's not recommended or optimal, and in a perfect world I wouldn't be doing it, but that was how things had to be when the server was set up. But that doesn't explain why a database isn't being restored.

I've spent hours and hours investigating the problem, because I did NOT want to have to start from scratch with a new profile manager setup, when we already have hundreds of devices and tons of profiles setup that I don't want to set up again if at all avoidable. Everything I've found in the logs points to an issue with the postgres database somewhere. As it turns out, Time Machine seems to miss the /Library/Server/ProfileManager/Data/PostgreSQL folder (which exists on the live system) in it's backups. It's completely missing in the /Library/Server/ProfileManager/Data folder in Time Machine. There's a /Library/Server/ProfileManager/Data/backup directory (which seems to contain files generated from pg_basebackup), so I know there's data there, but they aren't anything I can turn into SQL to restore the database.

The research I did showed a number of other people who had issues when restoring from a time machine backup for one of the three services relying on postgres: Calendar, Profile Manager, and Wiki. I found solutions for older versions of osx and server for calendar/wiki, but nothing for profile manager or osx 10.9.x and server 3.1.x. I've since found a number of people with backup solutions for the profile manager postgresql database which I'm setting up currently to prevent future disasters...but nothing that will help me salvage my current problem.

I've had to resort to starting over again with a new Profile Manager, and now have to re-enroll all devics and setup all of our profiles, groups, etc. It also wiped out all of our VPP app distributions so we have to assign those again.

Anyone else run into a similar issue with restoring from a time machine backup and one of the services relying on postgres doesn't restore properly?

Thanks,

Kyle

Mac mini, OS X Server, OS X Server 3.1.2, Mavericks 10.9.3

Posted on Jun 3, 2014 3:01 PM

There are no replies.

Profile Manager not being backed up in Time Machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.