Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Really lost on installing Mavericks...any help?

OK, I am totally lost. I have 2 partitions on my hard drive. I did a test on Lion a couple of years ago and put that on one partition and still have Snow Leopard on the one I use daily. Haven't been into Lion for a while and never did put the final version on there...but have 2 HD's on my desktop, Lion and Snow Leopard. A couple of week's ago I decided to update Lion to Mavericks to test it before I install on Snow Leopard. I restarted and selected the partition with Lion and signed in, about info said I was on Lion, did the install for about 45 minutes, said I was on 10.9.3. Then I switched to Snow Leopard and that showed on Mavericks also, but startup disk showed Lion. Thought I messed up but lost emails so contacted FiOS and they got my emails back after an hour so thought OK. But was strange because the startup disk kept showing weirdly, like the same for Lion and Snow Leopard. Now when I go into the Lion partition it shows 10.6.8 and startup disk Snow Leopard...why isn't it startup disk Lion or even Mavericks? And where did Mavericks go??? When I installed Mavericks it didn't ask to do any certain type of install so just did an install and left all my files, etc., (want to see if my Quark will work in Mavericks) and when said was on 10.9.3 Quark still seemed to work. Now when I restart and go back to Snow Leopard or Lion it shows 10.6.8 and startup disk Snow Leopard for both partitions...So what happened to Mavericks??? I really would like to install Mavericks on ONLY the Lion partition and leave my current programs there. Can someone tell me exactly how to do that and what it should show under About this Mac when I restart and select the other partition??? I have no idea where Mavericks went or if it is somewhere on here. Snow Leopard I have my apps lined up along the left and Lion it is along the bottom - snow leopard has a different background (a picture) when in it and Lion has a generic blue background so I am sure I am going between partitions, aren't I? I just do a restart and select the other partition and sign in. When I was in Mavericks once I had some option in the top right corner to switch between partitions and seemed to be able to just switch them, but none of that is there now and no Mavericks anywhere I can find. Any help is greatly appreciated. Can anyone tell me where Mavericks is and how and I can only upgrade the 2nd partition with this - don't want to touch my Snow Leopard in case issues in Mavericks. Thanks. Gary

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2009), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 3, 2014 5:28 PM

85 replies

Jun 3, 2014 6:13 PM in response to Gary Schnetter

Hello Gray,

I recommend a fresh install in case you had a backup of your data or a time machine backup, if not try this out same process as Install hold command+R when logged on open diskutility and delete 2nd partion only Apply and restart if you have installed 10.6 , don't delete Recovery partition isn't helpfull try this out.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2390348,00.asp

Jun 4, 2014 5:07 PM in response to Mohamed Danish

Sorry, I don't understand any of this. I am a real novice, started on a Macintosh with Quark doing graphics at work but when it comes to technical stuff I know nothing. I have no idea what you are saying. All I know is I have 2 partitions on my desktop, one says Snow Leopard and one says Lion. When I go back and forth they both say startup disk is Snow Leopard. I just want to put Mavericks on the Lion partition to try it to see what works, which means I need Quark to stay on there if possible - it is a major issue I had when trying to install that on 2 partitions I remember from before. I did an install of Mavericks on it last week, but as I said above it seemed to have changed both partitions at first, now it is nowhere and I just need someone to tell me exactly what I need to do just to install that on the Lion partition. But since it says startup disk Snow Leopard while under the Lion partition I have no idea if I am doing something wrong or what is going on. Anyone help with basic instructions on exactly what I need to do?

Jun 6, 2014 9:40 AM in response to Mohamed Danish

Does this help any? When I go into Disk Utility and select Lion it says below - looks like it has 10.9.3??? If it does, why when I select Get Info when restarting into that partition it says 10.8.6 and startup Disk Snow Leopard???

Name : Lion

Type : Volume

Disk Identifier : disk0s2

Mount Point : /Volumes/Lion

System Name : Mac OS X

System Version : 10.9.3

System Build : 13D65

File System : Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Connection Bus : SATA

Device Tree : IODeviceTree:/PCI0@0/SATA@B/PRT0@0/PMP@0

Writable : Yes

Universal Unique Identifier : 2D43B3DA-6D8B-3261-9EE7-E6BFE611CA90

Capacity : 248.9 GB (248,898,408,448 Bytes)

Free Space : 194.13 GB (194,134,405,120 Bytes)

Used : 54.76 GB (54,764,003,328 Bytes)

Number of Files : 617,096

Number of Folders : 151,032

Owners Enabled : Yes

Can Turn Owners Off : Yes

Can Repair Permissions : Yes

Can Be Verified : Yes

Can Be Repaired : Yes

Can Be Formatted : Yes

Bootable : Yes

Supports Journaling : Yes

Journaled : Yes

Disk Number : 0

Partition Number : 2

Jun 6, 2014 10:24 AM in response to Gary Schnetter

It looks like 10.9.3 is installed.

If you look at Disk Utility/Erase tab it will probably show the names as Lion. The name of the hard drive can be most anything, so don't be worried about what you see on the desktop. If you do a Get Info, you should be able to rename the partition there.

If you go to System Preferences/Startup Disk what options for restarting are you shown there?

If you boot into that partition, what is shown under  menu/About this Mac?

Jun 6, 2014 10:24 AM in response to Gary Schnetter

Hi Gary. You need to be very careful what you post. It'll make assisting much easier.

That 10.8.6 I suspect is actually 10.6.8 and yes, is Snow Leopard.

An easy way to see what Start up discs are connected to your mac is to;

System Preferences> Startup Disk

You'll see a window that looks like the below;

User uploaded file

Although DU may appear to say Lion one minute and Snow Leopard the next. This is because you can name the actual physical disk whatever you like.

As you can see from my shot I name the disks with something distinguishing. The highlighted one is your current start up disk.

If first you back up your Mac that has the important data on it to a separate disk, (I recommend a bootable clone, others favour Time Machine etc.), we can go from there?

If you have the SL disc or SuperDuper/CarbonCopyCloner any will make a bootable clone.

Jun 6, 2014 1:23 PM in response to Eric Root

OK, this helped me immensely. When I go to System Preferences / Startup Disc it shows Mac OS X, 10.6.8 on Snow Leopard; Mac OS X, 10.9.3 on Lion; Network Startup. I then clicked on the 10.9.3 Lion and it restarted and under About this Mac it shows 10.9.3 Lion startup disc - yea! OK, so do you always have to go to system preferences/startup disk to go into the other partition? I was doing a restart, then just selecting the 2nd partition that showed up and when I do that it shows 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. So to be sure I must go into system preferences and choose the startup disk there, right? How can I rename that startup disk Maverick so it isn't so confusing? Now that I know if I must go thru system pref's to do this, I would like to play in Mavericks for a while to get to know it and see what it is like and become familiar. It doesn't have the disks on my desktop like Snow Leopard does so have to find everything and want to see what works and what doesn't for me. If at that stage I find I want to update Snow Leopard, can I just install that over the Snow Leopard without reformatting or anything so I keep all my mail, pictures, documents and the few applications I do have (mainly Quark)? Wow, thanks so much for helping me find Mavericks, now just need to rename it. Also, Snow Leopard is listed under my name of Gary Schnetter and Lion (Mavericks) is listed under gsnicker - I would like to rename those something easier to define what drive is what...any help doing that is also appreciated! Thanks so much for the help to this point!!!!!

Jun 6, 2014 3:46 PM in response to dianeoforegon

Thanks. I feel dumb...too easy...sorry. I've been playing in Mavericks and most everything seems to be working OK. I guess I have to do the system preferences to change partitions per my questions in last email. I did have problems playing facebook games and pogo, but downloaded new java and now that seems to be working also. Now I just have to figure out how to do this on my Snow Leopard drive so I can keep all my bookmarks, mail files, pictures, apps on that drive. Any help on that is appreciated. I'm not too tech savy as you can tell and simple instructions in layman's terms are so appreciated.Thanks so much all!

Jun 6, 2014 9:40 PM in response to Gary Schnetter

Gary Schnetter wrote:

Thanks. I feel dumb...too easy...sorry. I've been playing in Mavericks and most everything seems to be working OK. I guess I have to do the system preferences to change partitions per my questions in last email.

Hi Gary, there is another way of changing startup disk. The System prefs method I posted as it appears to be the most simple.

If you want to change startup disk and make it persistent, the method I posted works best.

If you want to change it for just one boot, Press and hold the option key during boot, (pretty much as soon as you hear the bong), and keep it held until a choice of disks pops up on your screen.

Earlier you said you had the partitions on your desktop. If you've still to rename one then just highlight it and press enter. You should now be able to overtype the original text.

Are you saying that you still have documents etc in your SL partition that you want to move across?

Oh and have you made a backup to a separate partition yet, (it really is important)?

Jun 7, 2014 5:17 AM in response to gumsie

Actually, now having some issues in Mavericks. I can do almost everything, except when I go into Facebook I can no loner play the games. I got in there once and they worked, but no longer load. They get about 3/4's loaded and then just set there. Have to do some preferences cleaning and maybe repair disk and see if that allows this.

Actually, I have Mavericks on the (not sure what SL is) 2nd partition on my disk. My first partition is still Snow Leopard where I have everything now like my mail, pictures, i-tunes library, bookmarks, etc. Once I figure out that I can play Facebook games, I then want to install Mavericks over the Snow Leopard partition but I want to make sure I retain all my emails, bookmarks, i-tunes library, pictures, etc., I have there now. Everyone seems to tell me I need to do a clean install of Mavericks first, but can I just install Mavericks over the top of this so I don't have to change anything on Snow Leopard first and it will switch to Mavericks with all my app's, emails, etc., left in place? Thanks.

Jun 7, 2014 5:38 AM in response to Gary Schnetter

Or once I figure out facebook games, am I better off just trying to transfer bookmarks, mail, etc., from Snow Leopard to Maverick instead of installing it over the Snow Leopard partition? Also, any idea where I can remove a desktop picture in Maverick. I removed it in my Library in Snow Leopard but did find something about the option key and finding library, but still no Desktop Pictures file...

Jun 7, 2014 7:03 AM in response to Gary Schnetter

1. You can set the desktop picture is System Preferences/Desktop & Screen Saver/Desktop. There are also Desktop pictures in the hard drive level Library (where Applications, System, and Users are).

2. Unless you need the disk space, why not leave both partitions there for now? I have Snow leopard on one partition and Mavericks on another. I use Snow Leopard for older games and programs that will not run under Mavericks. There are ways to share pictures and other data between partitions.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

3. As gumsie has asked/pleaded before DO A BACKUP !!!!!! Preferably 2 or more.

Jun 7, 2014 7:12 AM in response to Gary Schnetter

Hi Gary.

Sorry to harp on about this but I'm not sure you've answered it. Do you have a viable backup strategy?

Anyways, when booted into SL, (Snow Leopard), is the account name the same as the one you have when booted into Mavericks?

If they are different what I would do, assuming you have sufficient hard drive space is, (and it should still work from the same disk - not actually tried it), is use Migration assistant to copy your Snow Leopard user to your Mavericks install.

Then you make sure that the newly copied user is admin, check that the original Mav account doesn't have any files you need, then delete it leaving you with one account that has all of your files.

So...............(What I might do). Long winded but safe and I hope easy to follow.

1. Using the Finder, rename your current hard drives so they are representative.

2. Partition a separate external HD with two partitions called Mavericks and Snow to accept your current Mavericks and Snow Leopard installs. Make sure you get the volume formats correct. MacOSExtended Journaled is probably right.

2. Clone both using Disk Utility. While booted into Mavericks clone the Snow Leopard partition to Snow and vice versa.

3. While booted into Mavericks use Migration assistant to transfer files you need from your external Snow.

It leaves both externals intact and only one internal changed.

Really lost on installing Mavericks...any help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.