Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iFunbox security concern?

Hi,

I came across this software a while ago, it enables you to access the filesystem of your iDevice while it's connected via usb or wifi. (doesn't require your device to be jailbroken and mine is not)

I have sensitive data on some of my password protected apps plus some photos in Photo app. Now i figured all of them are accessible through this software even though mmy ipad is locked by a passcode.

What should i do?

Should i remove my sensitive data so that in case my ipad is stolen i don't need to worry or is there a way to protect my data using ipad passcode while the device is connected to an iFunbox running computer?

I used google but i there was no security issues with this software, am I doing something wrong?

Thank in advance

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 7.1

Posted on Jun 4, 2014 7:40 AM

3 replies

Jun 4, 2014 7:46 AM in response to miladkalbasi

I'm not sure that iFunBox allows you any more access to documents than would the File Sharing function of iTunes, but not having tested iFunBox I can't say with any certainty. Perhaps someone else here will have more insight.

If you have sensitive information on your iPad that you wish to protect, though, you'll want to keep in in an app that offers encryption, such as the "notes" portion of 1Password. You can also try setting your iPad to require a complex passcode rather than the standard four-digit one. I believe that provides more protection and may block access via iFunBox or similar utilities.

Regards.

Jun 4, 2014 8:24 AM in response to miladkalbasi

Thank you very much snozdop, that's what i was looking for. So for people who have the same question:

If you connect your iDevice to a different computer you have to first enter the passcode then you will be asked if you want to trust the computer.

And for those people who want to access their stuff on the go without itunes, this is my suggestion:

1. download the iFunbox portable

2. connect it to a computer (like in school, university,...)

3. Trust the computer

4. do your stuff

Then, if you want to Untrust the computer (so that your content is not accessible through this computer anymore) what you have to do is this:

5. On windows go to Device manager (in control panel)

6. click on Universal Serial Bus controllers

7. Right click on the "Apple... " and choose "Uninstall"

8. select "Delete driver..." and chooose "OK"

the next time you connect your iDevice to this computer you have to enter your passcode and tap "Trust this computer" again.

Thank you snozdop and varjak paw for your answers.

I hope this topic solves someone else's problem as well 😉

iFunbox security concern?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.