Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suggestions for a UPS regarding my home system

Hi guys, I know there are quite a lot of threads about this, however I can't seem to take the most out of it, so I need your help, personally.

As you can guess, I need to buy a UPS for my home system, and it needs to both keep my system running until I shut down everything safely, plus protect my equipment from any power surge.

So, going down to business, the equipment I would definitely need to protect, would be:

iMac 27 inch late 2013, WD my book 3TB external drive, 2 studio monitors Adam F5, and my audio interface, Scarlett 6i6.

So a total of 5. Considering that probably ups go for pair, if a 6th socket would be available, I would like to preserve my digital piano that I use as a controller most of the time.

I just need to run everything until I can shut the system down, so even 10 minutes, would do the trick really.

I asked the APC customer care, as this brand is widely recommended around, but they suggested I get a super powerful UPS, which I find too much for my needs...Or maybe not!

See what we can come up with. Thanks for the help!

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Jun 4, 2014 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2014 2:14 PM

The primary purpose of a UPS should be to provide sufficient power to perform an orderly shutdown so that you don't lose your work. The secondary purpose is power conditioning. Evaluate the need to continuously power the keyboard, for example, when utility power fails. Power conditioning alone does not require a UPS.

As APC said to provide sufficient power to all the equipment you describe with a single UPS will require one that is likely to be prohibitively expensive. The way around that is to purchase two or more less powerful UPSs. The total cost of two will be less than the cost of one with twice the capacity, and the difference becomes progressively greater with three or more.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2014 2:14 PM in response to whitetulip

The primary purpose of a UPS should be to provide sufficient power to perform an orderly shutdown so that you don't lose your work. The secondary purpose is power conditioning. Evaluate the need to continuously power the keyboard, for example, when utility power fails. Power conditioning alone does not require a UPS.

As APC said to provide sufficient power to all the equipment you describe with a single UPS will require one that is likely to be prohibitively expensive. The way around that is to purchase two or more less powerful UPSs. The total cost of two will be less than the cost of one with twice the capacity, and the difference becomes progressively greater with three or more.

Jun 4, 2014 2:48 PM in response to whitetulip

Does all of this equipment need to be on battery back up? Many UPS have half of the outlets on back up and the other half using the same surge/filtration but not on battery.

I have APC BR1500G UPS. It has 5 on surge/battery and 5 on surge only. There's one problem that I have, but it could be my system as APC tried to test it out on their testing machines. The problem is that when my Mac wakes from a Sleep, it tends to lose comm with the UPS. They've tried for at least 2 months, as we were in constant communications, unlike my UPS and Mac lol.

For my set up, nothing like yours though, 2012 Mac Mini, 24" LED Apple display, Klipsch PC speakers and a Canon printer.

I have the 24 Display plugged into the Master Switch. So when it turns off the Klipsch speakers are turned off. The rest are plugged into the battery back up. With that in mind, I have about 120 +/- minutes until I lose battery. Yes, it's a little much for my system. But when I lose power, I'm normally in the middle of something and I would like to finish as much as I could. As there's nothing else for me to do. lol

KOT

Jun 4, 2014 3:18 PM in response to whitetulip

Thank you for your replies guys, much appreciated.

I didn't think about getting two different UPS instead of a single one. The price would still be likely around 200 pounds, yet I suppose that when you're trying to protect thousands, you shouldn't be picky.

I will definitely consider that idea, thank you John!

And thanks for sharing your experience king. It worries me a bit to hear that you lost communication with the UPS after the mac sleeps, yet it might be the system as you suggested it, or something else.

Thanks a lot both of you!

Jun 4, 2014 3:25 PM in response to whitetulip

Simply unplugging and plugging the USB does fix it. Or not allowing the Mac to still is also another resort. Since you have an iMac, you still can have the display sleep just not the computer part itself.

I have to admit that I have non-factory SSD and RAM. So that could be my problem. I also have another problem where my Mac wakes to a blank screen, frozen log in and other problems. I'm not the only person though. But I would seriously like to know if the other people have aftermarket SSD, RAM or what not.

But I have noticed that my mother's APC UPS does continue to talk with the Mac after wake up. The firmware for the UPS is different from mine. But it's also an older model and smaller wattage.

KOT

Jun 7, 2014 5:40 AM in response to Kingoftypos

On the studio speakers, it has 2 wrote on them, so I am a bit confused. It says T0.5AL 230V 50Hz, and T1AL 115V 60Hz TL1, 75 Watts.

For the mac, I am unsure.. I mean, I don't know where to check. But I am guessing 230V??? On the power tab, it doesn't say the voltage...

For the audio interface, it uses a 12V DC power adapter, and the same goes for the external drive, 12V DC.

The piano uses the same adapter as well.

Hope this helps? Sorry, I suck with this kind of things....

Jun 7, 2014 6:54 AM in response to whitetulip

This should help you...

http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/

I simply selected "Home Office" and "By Device". With at least a 5 minute run time.

Made your iMac 30" with Intel i5 700 processor and external hard drive. It calculated that the iMac uses 336ish watts. Which it won't do that all the time.

I also added a set of speakers at 75 watts.

As well as one misc device at 75 watts.

It came up with Back-up UPS Pro 1000 as the best price, $149 USD at apc.com

Fact is, all the wattage that are stamped on every electric device. Will probably never use that wattage in it's life time. It's only there because it has the potential to use that, but under most times it won't.

For example, my 2012 Mac Mini is labeled at 85watts. The 24" Apple Cinema Display is at 212watts. Klipsch speakers 240watts. However, with me playing music at a enjoyable level, not too loud, not too quite. My UPS states that I am using 40 to 45watts. It also estimates that I have a 128 minute run time when on battery.

So you maybe able to get away with the 700, but your run time would probably be less than 30 minutes.

KOT

Jun 7, 2014 8:23 AM in response to Kingoftypos

If you think I could be running rought 20/30 mins, that would be fine with me. Again, I just need to make sure the equipment is protected by power surges, and if the power fails, I can still save my sessions etc without panicking or risking to lose everything.

http://www.ebuyer.com/196268-apc-back-ups-es-700-ac-230v-405w-700va-8-output-con nectors-be700g-uk

Do you think then this will suffice for my equipment, KOT????

Jun 7, 2014 9:14 AM in response to whitetulip

whitetulip wrote:

If you think I could be running rought 20/30 mins, that would be fine with me. Again, I just need to make sure the equipment is protected by power surges, and if the power fails, I can still save my sessions etc without panicking or risking to lose everything.

http://www.ebuyer.com/196268-apc-back-ups-es-700-ac-230v-405w-700va-8-output-con nectors-be700g-uk

Do you think then this will suffice for my equipment, KOT????

If you only care about protection for everything, but battery back up for the iMac. Then that UPS would be a great choice. You have many options as for how you plug your devices in.

For that UPS, I would plug the iMac into the Master, follow the instructions to have the UPS "learn" the iMac's power usage. So it'll know when the iMac is off. Then plug the speakers into the "Controlled by Master". The external hard drive into one of the plugs that is battery back up, just in case for brown outs or quick black outs.

The reason for the speakers into the Controlled by Master, is so when the iMac is off the speakers will get automatically shut off too. The downfall, is that when the power goes out. You won't have the speakers but at least your iMac and external will still have power until you properly shut them down.

KOT

Suggestions for a UPS regarding my home system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.