You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GREY SCREEN OF DEATH

Hello. My computer froze last week. I was in the middle of minimizing a window in Safari and just before it got sucked down to the bottom of the screen, it froze. My mouse was frozen and I couldn't force quit anything, so I forced the computer to turn off by holding the power button. When I turned it back on, I couldn't pass the grey screen and the Apple logo changed from an apple to a prohibited sign (like the red circle and diagonal line you'd see on a no smoking sign). I went onto Apple's pages and after following all the former steps, I've come to the suggestion to use Disk Utility to perform a repair on the volume. The only problem is Disk Utility isn't giving me any options to do anything. Maybe there is an option, but I'm just not seeing it because I have no idea what I'm doing. Hahaha! If someone could give me some guidance, it would be really appreciated!

So I put in the disc and hold "C" on start up. Great, the disc works! I open the Disk Utilities window from the Utilities menu. The window opens and at the top of the screen, Verify, Burn, New Image, and Convert are available to click on. Everything else in the same bar is greyed out. Underneath that, there are two windows, a thin white one to the left and a big square grey one on the right. The white one has a symbol of a cd and "HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS23N" beside it. Under that there's another symbol of a cd and "Mac OS X Install DVD". In the grey square, it says, "Select a disk, volume, or image".

So, I click on the "Mac OS..." cd option in the white box and the grey square changes with First Aid, Erase, and Restore options at the top. I'm automatically put in the First Aid window. Underneath that, there's some words, and a box check-marked that says Show Details. The box under Show Details is empty. Under the empty box, the options Verify Disk Permission, Repair Disk Permission, Verify Disk, and Repair Disk are all greyed out.

So, I'm having trouble because I have absolutely no idea what to do and can't find this volume folder thing to repair...

Also, it may be a good point to say that I have information I don't want to lose, so reformatting and starting over is only a last resort!

Thanks!

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 4, 2014 9:23 AM

9 replies

Jun 4, 2014 12:35 PM in response to HopelesslyFrustrated

Profile is silent= no info, you can add it here.https://discussions.apple.com/static/apple/tutorial/products.html

These are the disks that came with your Mac?

To take the screen shot, use SHIFT+COMMAND+3 for everything that you can see on your screen, or ****+COMMAND+4 and use the crosshairs to out line the selection you want to capture. It will be saved to your desktop. To attach it to the the pane here, click on the camera in the tool bar then click browse, then select the screenshot(highlight), then click open, then click insert.

SMC reset:

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC

Jun 4, 2014 1:12 PM in response to HopelesslyFrustrated

It's only showing the install disk and your optical drive (cd/dvd), no hard drive, as you can see in my screen shot there is the hard drive (toshiba 500GB) and my volume on it (Macintosh HD). On yours it is not being recognized.

I hope you have been backing up.

I take no pleasure in telling you this.

It would seem that your hard drive may have failed. You can take it in to a Genius Bar at an Apple store and they will diagnose the issue and give the price to repair it. Make an appointment first so you don't have to waste time waiting.

http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar

Good Luck

GREY SCREEN OF DEATH

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.