Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac + Samsung SSD = TRIM?

Dear Apple Support Communities,

yesterday I upgraded my MacBook Pro (13'', early 2011, 2,3GHz, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.9.3) with a Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD.

Everything works fine. The question I have is the following:

Do I need to enable TRIM?

Many people recommand it in order to keep the performance high and the deleted stuff really deleted. Or is it, as also mentioned several time in the WWW, senseless or even dangerous for the performance of my SSD?

For my TRIM is a myth and I'm totally unsure, if I have to enable it or not. Many people say: "Yes, TRIM is important and nothing wrong will happen." Others say the opposite: "No! TRIM killed my and my friends' SSD."!

What do I need to do?

In advance I thank you for your help!

Yours sincerely,

Marc

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Jun 4, 2014 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2014 11:58 AM

If it isn't an Apple SSD, then you need to use third-party TRIM enabler. Trim Enabler 3.2.2.

39 replies

Jun 4, 2014 12:03 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you for your fast reply!

But why people saying that TRIM killed their SSD? F.ex. their is an austrian YouTuber who told me that two of his own Samsung SSD died after some months (TRIM enabled) and two Samsung SSD of his friend (TRIM enabled). And there are a lot more people who are posting negative comments on the WWW about Samsung SSDs on Mac with TRIM enabled. :-/

Jun 4, 2014 12:21 PM in response to Stema001

I've not used a Samsung drive, but I have used lots of other non-Apple SSDs with TRIM enabled, and I have never had a problem. Many tests have been done by others that demonstrate the benefits of enabling TRIM, although they are not substantially better than non-TRIM enabled duplicate SSDs. So, if you are concerned then don't enable it. I'm sure you won't notice much of a difference other than a gradual slowing down over time that can be fixed by simply erasing the drive and writing zeroes to it. But depending upon how much you put on the SSD that could take months or years to occur.

Jun 4, 2014 12:46 PM in response to Stema001

As an afterthought, do some Google searching and read up on what TRIM actually does. Most of the newer SSDs now have their own built-in garbage collection, but they tend to be less effective although they are doing the same job.

Be sure to avoid YouTube videos as your source of reliable information. They rarely are. 🙂

Jun 4, 2014 1:01 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for your reply! Well I did some google researches and keep doing it so and I find sources, which enforce the TRIM enabling story and others who don't. It's really confusing. I think I will enable it with the tool you posted here and keep doing nearly daily backups with Time Machine. If it crashes I have 5 years of warranty. Is the tool you posted the compatible with OS X mavericks and on its' latest version?

Oct 17, 2014 4:23 AM in response to Kappy

Garbage Collection and TRIM are not the same. Samsung has an articlethat explains why TRIM support by the OS is a good thing to have.

I used TRIM enabler with my 840 PRO so far, but since Yosemite brings in kext signing, it's no longer possible to modify systemwide TRIM support for Apple's EOM SSDs to include 3rd party SSDs. The only workaround so far is to disable kext signing which is contrary to the idea of increasing system security. I have no final answer at this stage what to do best.

Oct 18, 2014 6:58 AM in response to Stema001

I think you missed the point of Glyxdiät's comment. In order to use TRIM Enabler to enable TRIM on your non-Apple SSD in Yosemite, you have to disable kext signing before the utility can enable TRIM. A kext is a kernel extension (i.e. driver) and turning off kext signing isn't something *I* feel comfortable doing (for system security reasons) but you may not have an issue with it. It is highly unlikely that Apple will allow us to enable TRIM support for our non-Apple drives, which is unfortunate.

Oct 19, 2014 10:34 PM in response to Stema001

I won't look super after you perform a PRAM reset or a low battery state leads to lost PRAM information. Then Yosemite will try to boot with signed kernel extension only and since Apples SATA driver (the kext) was patched by TRIM enabler your Mac won't start, see statement by the TRIM enabler developer.

The problem is that TRIM enabler does not provide his own kernel extension for TRIM in Yosemite (which the developer may sign with a special developer licence and have it approved by Apple, which is also quite uncertain to happen), but instead patches Apple's own drivers like a malicious software would do. Yosemite was build to prevent this exactly. Since the patched SATA driver will not load at boot time, the Mac will not boot. To disable kext signing is "as secure as in Mavericks", but for sure nothing that will work well for the future. We don't even know whether Apple will allow to turn off kext signing in 10.10.1. This would leave you with an unbootable Mac.

Oct 19, 2014 10:59 PM in response to Stema001

Stema001 wrote:

Dear Apple Support Communities,

yesterday I upgraded my MacBook Pro (13'', early 2011, 2,3GHz, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.9.3) with a Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD.

I know some people are talking about issues with Yosemite, but since you are running Mavericks, I have been running for several weeks in Mavericks with a Samsung SSD and Trim Enabler turned on with no problems.

Oct 19, 2014 11:33 PM in response to Glyxdiät

I've taken what I think to be the safest route just now and did not enable trim with the release version of Yosemite. It may not be that great for my SSD but it makes me feel much more secure than overriding Apple's security measures.

Maybe someone will come up with a signed kext that will allow trim to be enabled again... I'm not counting on it, though.

Clinton

MacBook Pro (15” Late 2011), OS X Yosemite 10.10, 16GB Crucial RAM, 960GB M500 Crucial SSD, 27” Apple Thunderbolt Display

Mac + Samsung SSD = TRIM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.