Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't locate startup disk while in system recovery

I have a MacBook Pro-version OS X Lion 10.7. The problem I have is that I moved the HD drive on to the dashboard--for some reason I thought it would be more convenient. The next time I turned it on a folder with a ? appeared. I've restarted the Mac while holding down command R and the option key. This is a work computer that I received only a week ago, so sadly I never got to back it up with Time Machine. When the four options come up (time machine, reinstall OSX, help online, and disk utility) I'm limited to help online, which gives me no option of a disk to store it on. My question is if there is anyway to locate my disk drives through Terminal or can I open up the Mac and remove and reinstall the hard drive to reset my settings? Could I also use a blank cd/DVD to install OS X on to? Thanks.

Posted on Jun 4, 2014 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2014 8:45 PM

I've not seen this little mishap before so we'll have to work through options to recover.

If you have an external drive you can install OS X using the Recovery Drive on the external drive. While booted from the external drive you should be able to see your internal drive files.

It might be possible to move it back from Applications (Launch Pad is a view of your Applications folder), but I suspect this will fail. You will be able to recover your files to the new OS X on external drive. Once your data is safely copied over, wipe the internal drive and clone the new install to the internal drive.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2014 8:45 PM in response to Quickbeam73

I've not seen this little mishap before so we'll have to work through options to recover.

If you have an external drive you can install OS X using the Recovery Drive on the external drive. While booted from the external drive you should be able to see your internal drive files.

It might be possible to move it back from Applications (Launch Pad is a view of your Applications folder), but I suspect this will fail. You will be able to recover your files to the new OS X on external drive. Once your data is safely copied over, wipe the internal drive and clone the new install to the internal drive.

Jul 31, 2014 4:13 PM in response to Quickbeam73

Open Disk Utility in Applications/Utilities.

Does Disk Utility see the drive? In order to reinstall OS X, you have to be able to see the drive in Disk Utility.

Options to try...

Hold down the Option key and restart. This should bring up a list of drives. If you see the Macintosh HD (default name) hold down the Shift key and select the drive. This would boot you in Safe Boot mode.

Another option would be to try resetting PRAM

1.Shut down your Mac.
2.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3.Turn on the computer.
4.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
5.Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6.Release the keys.

Can't locate startup disk while in system recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.