Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to open zip file

iMac G5 ALS running Mac OS 10.5.8

I double click on a zip file to open it, see the thermometer progress bar but it ends with the following Archive Utility error message: "Unable to unarchive (name of application) into "(name of location)". (Error 1 - Operation not permitted.)" I AM the administrator and the file is set to "Read and Write". What is going on here? Will I have to enable "root" to open the file?

Posted on Jun 4, 2014 3:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2014 4:25 PM

Is there enough Free space on the Drive for it?

Does the Folder it's in have Write Permissions?

Might try The Unarchiver 2.6...

http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/unarchiver

4 replies

Jun 4, 2014 4:47 PM in response to BDAqua

Yes (as long as the application is less than 154 GB)

Yes (~/Desktop)

Your link took me to version 3.9.1 but I was able to find version 3.5.1; apparently the last version to run on PPC. It opened the file but said there was a problem with the contents of the zip file, which is better info then I had previously. Looks like I'll have to re-download the file and hope IT isn't corrupted also.

Unable to open zip file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.