Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

smtp server outlook authentication

I have made the changes so Outlook can authenticate to the mail server as per the Apple tech note but getting an error it can't auth on outgoing. Can't see anywhere to modify to allow Microsoft Outlook 2013 for Windows.

Macs and iPhones etc no problem. Just outlook for windows. Thanks.

Running 10.9.3

3.12 Server

Mac Mini server

Posted on Jun 4, 2014 11:12 PM

4 replies

Jun 8, 2014 11:45 PM in response to MrHoffman

Mail Server Log

Jun 09 16:38:27 auth: Error: od(user,ip<J2dpdWH7GQB501oQ>): validate response: unable to lookup user record

user and ip I took out

smtp log

Jun 9 16:41:10 mail.psgholdings.com.au postfix/smtpd[52062]: connect from unknown[ip]

Jun 9 16:41:10 mail.psgholdings.com.au postfix/smtpd[52062]: lost connection after UNKNOWN from unknown[ip]

Jun 9 16:41:10 mail.psgholdings.com.au postfix/smtpd[52062]: disconnect from unknown[ip]

So the incoming is no problem, just the outgoing. Looks like it can't find the user to authenticate.

I have done this as per the tech note.

For OS X Server (Mountain Lion)

1. In /Library/Server/Mail/Config/postfix/main.cf, locate the smtpd_helo_restrictions setting.
  2. Remove "reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname" from the list of settings.
  3. Restart the Mail service.

smtp server outlook authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.