Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dropbox won't start after moving location of user folder

Hi all

I have a mid 2011 iMac running latest version of Mavericks.

I recently purchased an external thunderbolt SSD and cloned my boot HD to it, excluding the user folders as these are too big for the SSD and will remain on the internal HDD, and made it the start disk. Then, once booted with the SSD, I went into users settings and mapped my user to the user folder location on the internal HDD. I then rebooted.

After the reboot everything is working just fine with the exception of Dropbox which first asks for my Mac user account password and then returns the following error and closes the app:

Couldn't start Dropbox

This is usually because of permissions error. Errors can also be caused by your home folder being stored on a network share.

I've searched everywhere for a solution and can't find one. Most solutions I see involve going into the preferences in the Dropbox application and clicking the button to repair permissions, but I can't get to that because the application just quits.

If I reboot using the internal HDD again I can get the application to load just fine.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Steve

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Jun 4, 2014 11:12 PM

21 replies

Jul 22, 2014 1:55 PM in response to marius tomescu

I've just had this. The dropbox preferences are in a hidden directory (.dropbox) in your home folder. Delete that and it should start up as it would with a clean install.

To do this:

1. Open terminal
  2. run 'sudo rm -r .dropbox'
  3. enter your password

That *should* sort it. I'd renamed my home directory and this messed it up, before I did the steps above I created an alias to my new location that matched to old name, I'm not sure if this is needed but worth a try if the above doesn't sort it..

Jan 28, 2015 10:19 AM in response to Dellbridge

I tried this, but it didn't work for me. My Dropbox folder is in an account that does not have Admin privileges, so the sudo command does not work.

Every time I reboot, I get the Dropbox error. Then I've had to delete the ~/Dropbox folder using Admin privileges, log in to Dropbox with my browser, and relink. All my files are downloaded and re-syncing begins again. It's a real pain. Can I use Terminal to delete the .dropbox file from a non-administrative account?

Dropbox won't start after moving location of user folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.