Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop iTunes from splitting up albums?

I'm new to iTunes and trying to import my music folder. How do I keep iTunes from splitting up an album, based on artist?

One album could have 5 artists that causes iTunes to make 5 folders. I do not want this. Because I have over 100 albums, this makes finding complete albums, very hard.

- "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy Files to iTunes Media Folder" are both unchecked.

iPhone 4S

Posted on Jun 5, 2014 8:33 AM

17 replies

Nov 23, 2017 5:01 PM in response to DocStephens

I do much the same for classical music. The composer is more significant than the artist. Over the years I've written a number of scripts for managing bulk changes which can be found at http://samsoft.org.uk/iTunes/scripts.asp.

With the possible exception of reviving the original metadata for purchases, which is a side effect of the way that iTunes handles your purchase history, iTunes doesn't normally change the details. What it may do is reveal data that has been changed by other software. See Getting iTunes & Windows Media Player to play nicely for a possible explanation.

tt2

Apr 4, 2017 1:51 PM in response to techyguy717

I interpret this question as "STOP iTunes from splitting albums" not "fix albums split by iTunes". It never used to do this. I don't know when it started. A few years ago and it's just ridiculous that users should have to go into myriad albums and change album artist or artist or anything. This happens to albums purchased through the iTunes store, which makes the bug even more infuriating. This is the reason people more for Apple computers, to avoid this fiddling/utility B.S.

I'm usually level-headed about things, as Apple's tech support is generally good, but the number of iTunes inexcusable bugs is growing and this particular problem has been going on for several years.

If I buy an album on iTunes Store, it should NEVER get split in this manner. I'm sorry, but it's sloppy software design behavior.

Please fix this ASAP. It's super frustrating and should be embarrassing for a billion-dollar company.

Nov 23, 2017 7:18 AM in response to Axeman1020

Easier said than done. I have 17,455 tracks in my well organized library and I never use the Album Artist field as I think it is redundant entry the Artist field. When I first started using iTunes (a very long time ago), this was not a problem. Consequently, now every time a track plays, iTunes mysteriously adds some weird album artist which screws up my library. Periodically, after listening to my music, I go to Song Info and delete these crazy Album Artist entries, but they come back the next time I play that track. How can we stop this from happening. Maddening!

Nov 23, 2017 7:55 AM in response to DocStephens

Do you use either iTunes Match or Apple Music?

Is the issue with resurrecting Album Artists limited to your purchases?

Note that using Album Artist should be the correct approach when an album has some tracks that have guest or featured artists, except that Apple declined to support the field properly in pre-iOS devices, so other workarounds can still be required.

tt2

Nov 23, 2017 4:13 PM in response to turingtest2

I do not use iTunes Match or Apple Music. iTunes Match really screwed up my library when it first came out. I haven't used Apple Music yet because I already use Pandora and Rhapsody/Napster and haven't felt the need to check it out. When I first ripped all my old CDs and even recorded some of my old 33 1/3 vinyl's, iTunes hadn't yet been invented. I started creating my library with RealPlayer and Rhapsody, 20+ years ago. iTunes came later and Album Artist came later than that. To fix the problem would take me weeks of laborious work going into each of my 1400+ albums and copying all the artists to album artist. If I need to separately keep track of an album artist from the artist I have used the comment field. I have tons of classical music and I've sorted it by last name of composer in the Artist Field, Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Brahms, Chopin, etc. The orchestra or performer is either in the name of the album or in the comment field. I'd be fine if iTunes didn't keep automatically changing what I have stored every time I play a track. Its maddening.

Jun 5, 2014 8:44 AM in response to Axeman1020

How do I keep iTunes from making multiple folders under iTunes Media? Would this solve the problem? I want to start over again with new iTunes.

For example: 1 album has 12 different artists on the same CD. iTunes created 12 folders and 12 albums. I know how to delete the iTunes folder to start again. How do I stop iTunes from creating all these additional folders and albums on a new import?

Jun 5, 2014 8:50 AM in response to techyguy717

I do not let iTunes manage my media folder but I would assume if there is no Album Artist it would then look at the Artist. I assume your iTunes library reflects this also. Do you show multiples of the same album in the Albums view?

I would assume that adding an Album Artist would prompt a resort of your folders. You can try. If it does not you can add Album Artists then create a new library as you mentioned.

Jun 5, 2014 9:12 AM in response to Axeman1020

iTunes took 100 CD albums, imported over the years by Windows Media Player, and created approxamately 500 albums based on Artist name. I don't want that.

How do I stop iTunes from changing around everything, when importing? Does iTunes expect me to change Artist names for 1200 songs?

When clicking on Get Info:

Album: Has Name

Album Artist: Blank

Artist: Has name

Jun 5, 2014 9:13 AM in response to techyguy717

Generally setting a common Album Artist will fix things.

For deeper problems see Grouping tracks into albums.

If both Keep... and Copy... are unchecked then tag changes won't be reflected in the physical folders.

If ripping media with iTunes you can set Album Artist before importing and your ripped tracks should end up in a sensible folder.

tt2

Jun 5, 2014 9:59 AM in response to turingtest2

Is there a Windows program to automatically update the Album Artist with the Album's name?

I believe running this program, then importing into iTunes would fix the issue.

I found Media Monkey, that can search the web for tags. But this needs to be run on every album, and carfully evaluated, to make sure I'm not blowing Tags away with wrong web info.

Jun 5, 2014 10:30 AM in response to techyguy717

You want Album Artist to be the same as the Artist that released the album, or Various Artists when applicable. iTunes gives preference to the value of Album Artist over Artist so I think your scheme would add to the confusion in your library. You only need to fix problem albums.

If you go into the songs view and enable the column browser, CTRL+SHIFT+B from memory, then you can select the first album, if there is more that one artist listed CTRL+A, CTRL+I opens a Get Info window with the tracks of the album, you type in the name of the Album Artist, press OK, then move on to the next album. Many are likely not to need any change so a second or two will suffice to see if there is an issue. If you use CTRL+J to enable view options and always show artwork then when there is only one common artist (or album artist) you will get a single piece of artwork, when there are more it will be clear. Watch out however for cases where the same album name has been used by different album artists (think Greatest Hits) as these need a little more care.

tt2

How do I stop iTunes from splitting up albums?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.