Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with iPhoto Library Updater

I've read all the posts on this subject but can't find my problem. When I run the Library Updater, the libraries I want to open are greyed out. If I click on a library on the desktop, it tells me I have to install the updater. I'm stumped!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Jun 5, 2014 2:29 PM

11 replies

Jun 5, 2014 5:57 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi Old Toad, thanks for this. I have several hard drives with old photos from various versions of iPhoto. I always upgrade, so I've moved consistently through the various OSs and versions of iPhoto. I think there are probably at least two Libraries created with earlier versions. I just had a hard drive crash, so I'm reinstalling everything from scratch and trying to consolidate all my photos in a single library. Your help is much appreciated!

Jun 6, 2014 9:02 AM in response to Centime

Unless those libraries were created by iPhoto 7 (08) or earlier the updater won't be able to be used on them. In those cases just launch iPhoto 9.5.1 with the Option key held down, click on the Other buttion, navigate to one of those libraries, select it and open. iPhoto 9.5.1 will convert it to the newer format.

To merge your libraries into one library you'll need to use the latest version of Aperture or the paid version of iPhoto Library Manager. With iPLM you can merge all of your libraries into a new library. When you're satisfied that the new library is complete and working as expected you can delete the original source libraries.

Apr 20, 2015 10:19 PM in response to Old Toad

I have a similar problem to the fellow (Centime June 6-7 2014)

The iPhoto Library I am trying to open was created in November 2006 -I cannot remember which version of iPhoto I was using then -sorry.

I subsequently switcheed to Aperure but somehow this library was not converted.

I have tried both the iPhoto Library upgrader and your solution (using the current iPhoto with the option key down) the library is still greyed out.
Any suggestion woould be appreciated!

Tx.

(MBP Mid 2013, 2.6Gz i7, 8G mem; OSX 10.10.3)

Apr 21, 2015 3:26 PM in response to True Brew Brewing

I did not sent you the email. It was automatically sent by the ASC forum. That is an image that I added but then delete from my last post before posting. How it got in the email is anyone's guess.

The contents of that folder appear to be normal for an iPhoto 6 library. You should be able to launch the iPhoto Library Upgrader 1.1 with the Option key held down, navigate to that folder and select it for updating.

User uploaded file

You are saying that that the iPhoto Italy2 library folder is grayed out in the upgrader's window? How is the volume MEDIA formatted. It must be OS X Extended (journaled) for iPhoto or the upgrader to work. If that volume is not formatted correctly move the folder to your boot drive and try from there.

Trouble with iPhoto Library Updater

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.