Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Nano 5th gen won't copy voice memos anymore, iPod Nano 5th gen won't copy voice memos anymore

Just recently (as in it was working fine less than a month ago) my ipod nano won't move voice memos to itunes anymore. When I connect my ipod, it opens a prompt to ask if I want to move voice memos from my ipod to my itunes library, if I select "Move Voice Memo" it seems to proceed normally - the memo is removed from my ipod but does not appear anywhere on my computer. I've checked the Voice Memos playlist, the iTunes media folder, searched using spotlight - nothing. It's especially aggravating because the way the function works, the recording is also removed from the ipod's list of recordings, so it basically disappears. I've already lost one large recording this way, and subsequent short recordings I made to test the feature met a similar fate. What's going on? Is the ipod nano's voice memo sync incompatible with itunes, or are these recordings hiding someplace I can't access?

iPod nano

Posted on Jun 5, 2014 5:45 PM

7 replies

Jun 29, 2014 12:24 PM in response to hawkthewalk

I had the same problem.First I thought that I had accidentally erased them. The next time I verified that they were indeed on the Nano. When I synced with itunes 11, the were no longer visible on the Nano, and no matter where I looked on the Mac they were gone from itunes as well. I did another recording, and this time I used itunes 10.x and was able to sync the voice memos. Then attached to itunes 11, they again disappeared!! I mounted the nano as a disk drive, and opened the Music folder, and sure enough, they were all still there, but in different places (not the directory where they would normally be created). I could identify them because they all have dates and times in their file names. I was then able to get them off the nano (drag and drop), but could not get them into itunes without first converting them from *.m4a to *.mp3. What a royal pain, but in the end, I got them all into itunes. Seems that there is a major bug in itunes 11.x that is causing this problem. I sure hope Apple sees this and gets t fixed.

i

Jul 6, 2014 8:39 PM in response to hawkthewalk

I had the same problem as you did just recently when I updated itunes to 11. I then updated to 11.2.2 same problem again. I have a 4th generation ipod nano & in the playlist in itunes the voice memo shows up but there are no voice memos in it. Have looked on internet & on the apple web site & see this has been an ongoing problem even back in 2010. Have now seen you are also having the same problem. It worked fine in itunes 10 for me.

How did you reinstall itunes 10? Also where is the disk drive feature to activate? This surely is a bug issue.

Hoping you may be able to help

Jul 6, 2014 9:10 PM in response to brassy99

I did not re-install itunes 10. I had itunes 10 running on a different Mac (G5) that can't be update, so it stays at the older version.

In itunes, there is an option for the ipod to "Enable Disk Use"

When checked, the ipod mounts as a file system. For me, there were a bunch of directories under iPod__control. I opened and expanded them all to see the *.mp3 or *.m4a files. You can tell the voice memos because they have a different name like (20140706 211123.m4a) which is date followed by time (hour:min:sec).

You can copy these to your mac, and rename them.

Jul 8, 2014 5:57 PM in response to Michael Robins

Thanks Michael for the updated info. Will come to use for me. I was also wondering if I had the original contents of all my computer including itunes 10 downloaded to a external harddrive could I reinstall it from Time Machine of my external hard drive? Or does that just install your Library section from itunes 10?

Hoping on hearing from you on this continual matter with voice memos. Many thanks!

Jul 15, 2014 7:57 PM in response to Michael Robins

Hi Michael:

I went into the ipod settings & saw that I already had my ipod set up to "Enable disc use". I tried it again & the music still wasn't in any music folders. I unclicked "Enable disc use" & when I came back to the ipod options menu again after leaving it, it was again clicked on in the ipod settings. I thought I would pass this onto you figuring it might mean something to someone else. It seems to be stuck in a mode. I cann't seem to change the settings now.

Jul 15, 2014 8:08 PM in response to brassy99

When you enable disk use, it means that it will mount the ipod like a disk drive. itunes is not really used at all for this function. If you are in the Finder, you shiuld see that your ipod has been mounted as a drive (probably with the name of your ipod).

Copied from previous message----

When checked, the ipod mounts as a file system. For me, there were a bunch of directories under iPod__control. I opened and expanded them all to see the *.mp3 or *.m4a files. You can tell the voice memos because they have a different name like (20140706 211123.m4a) which is date followed by time (hour:min:sec).

You can copy these to your mac, and rename them.

iPod Nano 5th gen won't copy voice memos anymore, iPod Nano 5th gen won't copy voice memos anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.