Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcast episode unavailable

Question not answered elsewhere as far as I can see so here goes.

New podcasts show as available to download on my iPhone 4S (the cloud and arrow symbol). When connected to wifi at home they download automatically I presume as the symbol disappears. But when I try and play them I get the message they're temporarily unavailable. These are podcasts I listen to week in week out.So why won't they play? Why temporarily unavailable? Do I need to sync to itunes first? Very frustrating as I can see them on the phone but can't play them.

Thoughts??

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1.1, Podcast download / playback error

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 1:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2017 4:57 AM

I suddenly have this problem on multiple podcasts from multiple sources

PC Pro Podcast 416

Behind the Glass Episode 5

BBC Chequered Flag F1 Belgian Grand Prix Preview

I've tried a few things but nothing has worked

iP6+ iOS 10.3.3

9 replies

Nov 5, 2017 12:09 PM in response to DavidDawson

Ooops - clicked too early. Full story:

It happened to me on Episode 50 & 52 of Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. These are very long episodes and I thought that might have something to do with it. These are the only two that have ever caused me a problem in a few months that I've been using it. (I used another podcast app until it stopped working in ios 11.)

Toggling Settings -> Podcast -> Cellular Data and Sync Podcasts both to off didn't make a difference. Nor did rebooting the phone several times.

I unsubscribed and re-subscribed and downloaded the episodes again and that did help. Actually, it didn't at first. I knew the episode downloaded because I watched as the indicator progressed. After it downloaded, I clicked play. The play button turned into a pause button but the time didn't progress and there was no sound. I force quit then re-opened the Podcasts again and now it's working.

Nov 19, 2014 7:16 AM in response to cyberbiker

Did anyone ever resolve this issue?

I have the same problem. You can start listening to podcasts while connected to ANY wifi, and they continue to play if you leave wifi. But if you stop playing and then try to restart (while away from wifi) you get a message saying the podcast is temporarily unavailable. This is brand new behavior as of last week for me. The podcasts HAVE been downloaded, they ARE on the phone, NOT being streamed. Here's a like to a very recent thread that is about the same problem: Podcast only plays through wifi shows unavailable otherwise

Nov 20, 2014 6:17 AM in response to AtomicBasselope

I seem to have figured out how to get podcasts to play when not connected to wifi. In the Settings app go into the Cellular menu, scroll down, and turn on cellular data for the Podcast app. Then scroll up to the top and turn on Celluar Data. Start playing your podcast. At this point you can turn off cellular data and the podcast will continue to play, until you stop it, at which point you'll have to turn on celluar data again to restart the podcast.

Jun 24, 2015 9:14 AM in response to bigandymanidks

Hello Big Andy,

Occasionally I get the same error: a downloaded podcast is temporarily unavailable.

It seems that the software reports the podcast as downloaded, but the podcast is corrupted in some way.

The fix that works for me: delete the download for the given podcast (under the i symbol), then download it again. Note that when you delete it but before you re-download it, you can now play it from the cloud (but you probably don't want that, as you downloaded it in the first place).

Sometimes this fix appears not work, because you encountered another corrupt download reported as complete. Sigh. Delete and re-re-download.

Apologies for the late reply; I just found this thread.

Podcast episode unavailable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.