Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPS info shifted east?

My Panama Canal pics taken with a Nikon CoolPix S9500 (with integrated GPS) end up being located on iPhoto maps in the middle of nowhere somewhere in Nigeria (same latitude, shifted east)

Any clue why: bug in Coolpix JPG GPS meta data? bug in iPhoto?

thanks

V

iPhoto '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3), iPhoto 9.5.1 (902.17)

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 3:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 4:20 AM

Actually not Nigeria but Ghana: it looks like Greenwich longitude (0) + Equator latitude (0) ==> I suspect I did not have GPS coverage when I took the pics and ALL geotag info is null/0

Hence the 'Ghana' syndrome ;-)

3 replies

Jun 6, 2014 4:28 AM in response to vamiot

Have you checked the GPS info on your Coolpix JPGs? What is the latitude you are seeing in the EXIF? You can see the GPS tags in "Preview".

• In iPhoto, select one of the photos with a wrong place and use "File > Reveal in Finder > Original"
  • Ctrl-click the original file and select "Open in Preview".
  • Click the "GPS" tab.

Is the longitude written by your camera correct?

User uploaded file

Jun 6, 2014 10:59 AM in response to léonie

it looks like Greenwich longitude (0) + Equator latitude (0) ==> I suspect I did not have GPS coverage when I took the pics and ALL geotag info is null/0

Sure thing - if the GPS info in the photos is wrong iPhoto will put it where hte GPS data says to

If you have any with correct location then select one, copy it and then select the others at that location and use hte pst location command to correct them

Since GPS can be slow to sync I often take an iPhone photo to give me one to copy if I need it

LN

GPS info shifted east?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.