Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon Digital Rebel XTi RAW support?

I just purchased a Canon Digital Rebel XTi and cannot get RAW files to import into iPhoto. I even tried the Image Capture trick (downloading to disk and then importing) to no avail. The file format is listed as CR2, which is supposed to be supported. Is it possible that Canon is using a different variant of the CR2 format for this camera and that I'll have to wait for another iPhoto or OS X update?

15" MacBook Pro, 2.0 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.7), 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 5400 RPM HD

Posted on Sep 8, 2006 9:16 PM

28 replies

Sep 15, 2006 2:01 PM in response to Alan Somers

I'm having the same issue - RAW images (both sRGB and AdobeRGB) from the new Rebel XTi will not open in iPhoto.

It is important to note that the same images will not open in Photoshop CS2, nor with Adobe Bridge 1.0 and even with the updated Bridge 1.0.4.6.

I would hope that Apple will recognize that there is a significant difference in file format from the Rebel XT and the Rebel XTi - and that Apple will issue an update to iPhoto accordingly.

For now, looks like Rebel XTi users will need to limp along on Canon's proprietary (and u-u-ugly) software provided with the XTi.

Jason

Sep 15, 2006 3:48 PM in response to Keith Barkley

Keith - thanks for the comment on the 10.4.8 update, but this doesn't totally make sense. If RAW support is solely an OSX issue, then the Canon software would not be able to open and manage the newest CR2 (RAW) files from the Rebel XTi. The Canon software works fine on OSX, but iPhoto and Photoshop do not, which indicates an issue with those apps, not necessarily OSX itself. If you have more specific data, please be kind enough to provide links so I can educate myself further.

Jason

Sep 15, 2006 4:34 PM in response to Jason in Oregon

Canon does not use the Raw facilities built into the OS. Indeed, I don't think anyone else does but Apple.

Canon (and Nikon and...) have their own proprietary Raw processing software. Since they have to support their own cameras out of the box, they cannot depend on Apple's support. (Should Canon have waited for Apple to support the XTi before releasing it?)

Look at the Aperature duscussions for interminable debates about whether Apple's Raw processing algorithms are worse than Nikon's.

(ETA: You Mentioned Photoshop, too. Canon can't wait for Adobe, either.)

Sep 25, 2006 8:10 PM in response to Sunny's mommy

Yes. You have multiple options for quality and size of JPEGs. There's even an option to save as highest quality, highest resolution JPEG and RAW simultaneously, assuming you're shooting using the Creative Zone modes (RAW is not available in the Basic Zone modes).

If you never perform any processing other than cropping on the images, JPEG works well. However, if you like to tweak your photos, you'll get better results if you start with a RAW image and only convert it to JPEG when you have the photo the way you want it.

Canon Digital Rebel XTi RAW support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.