Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keeping users' messages separate

I have an iPhone 4 and another family member has an iPad. They are connected, either through the iTunes account, through the cell/Internet phone service provider or both. We have separate cell phone numbers. So my question boils down to:

1. How can we keep our text messages separate? There's no reason for my messages to pop up on my family member's iPad, or vice versa.

2. Is it only iMessage that would sync between the iPhone and iPad, and text messages that show up in green would stay only on my iPhone or her iPad?

Thanks very much for your help!

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 8:01 AM

Regular SMS text messages will remain separate on devices since they are handled by the cellular service. iMessages however can be on multiple devices depending on the Apple ID used and other iMessage settings in the Settings section. If you are sharing an Apple ID for iMessage, then messages will appear on all devices using that Apple ID. That is in the iCloud section. You can still use the same Apple ID for music and app purchases, but use a different one for iCloud which would include iMessage.

In my house, we have 3 phones that share the same iCloud ID to enable me to keep track of all 3 devices in Find My iPhone. We do not, however, see each others messages because in the settings area of iMessage, the only thing checked for Send and Receive is the phone number, which keeps the messages segregated to the individual device. This is difficult, however, if you are purposly trying to share with an iPad, which requires the Apple ID. I believe you could still use the Apple ID for that and a single device and still not see messages on the other cellular devices.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2014 8:01 AM in response to JeanAnn7648

Regular SMS text messages will remain separate on devices since they are handled by the cellular service. iMessages however can be on multiple devices depending on the Apple ID used and other iMessage settings in the Settings section. If you are sharing an Apple ID for iMessage, then messages will appear on all devices using that Apple ID. That is in the iCloud section. You can still use the same Apple ID for music and app purchases, but use a different one for iCloud which would include iMessage.

In my house, we have 3 phones that share the same iCloud ID to enable me to keep track of all 3 devices in Find My iPhone. We do not, however, see each others messages because in the settings area of iMessage, the only thing checked for Send and Receive is the phone number, which keeps the messages segregated to the individual device. This is difficult, however, if you are purposly trying to share with an iPad, which requires the Apple ID. I believe you could still use the Apple ID for that and a single device and still not see messages on the other cellular devices.

Jun 6, 2014 8:20 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thank you, this is helpful! I think we are on the same iTunes account. So, if iMessages do not appear on both devices, does that mean neither of us is backing up messages to iCloud? I checked my settings and it doesn't look like my iPhone is backing up text or iMessages to iCloud.

When I go to Send & Receive under the Messages settings, only my phone number is checked. A couple of my email addresses were listed below; one was checked and I unchecked it. If I leave all of that as is, will messages sent to my phone number appear only on my iPhone?

Thanks for your patience. :-)

Jun 6, 2014 9:03 AM in response to JeanAnn7648

The settings in iMessage have nothing to do with backups. However, messages is part of the backup, both in iCloud and if you were to backup in iTunes.

As far as the Send & Receive is concerned, if you only have the phone number checked then only messages sent to the phone number will appear and will only appear on the phone. You need to check the settings on the other devices to make sure they are set for the phone number only as well. The alternative would be to create a iCloud account for each device. As I said earlier, I do it the way I do to simplify the ability to track all 3 devices together. Let me know if you have any further questions regarding this setup.

Oct 26, 2014 2:38 PM in response to JeanAnn7648

I'm revisiting this question as I just got the iPhone 6, and the iOS 8.1 update says SMS and MMS text messages can now be sent between iPad and iPhone. If I go to my Messages settings, click Send & Receive and only my phone number is checked, does that still mean my text messages with the green background will appear only on my iPhone and not the iPad? Or is there something else I need to do? Basically I want to keep my messages (whether iMessages or green background) only on my phone. Thanks again!

Keeping users' messages separate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.