Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

efi lock removal

Hey guys.

I bought a macbook pro early '13 edition, i went in to reinstall the computer, so i wiped the hdd and restarted it to make sure all the files were gone. When i tried to go into the recovery mode again, it showed a EFI lock screen. Now i dont have this key, and since i bought my mac used in the us, i cannot prove to the apple store in denmark that i actually bought it.

I was thinking that i might be able to take out the hdd and do a reinstall of the OS from my imac, then put it back in, and remove the EFI with the administrator password. Is this possible? and if so, how do i point to the hardware changes during the install ?

I was running mavericks on it.

Kind regards Chris

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 7:34 AM

5 replies

Jun 6, 2014 10:55 AM in response to ChrisEenberg

ChrisEenberg,

you could try the HDD switcharound, but I doubt that it would work. According to this Apple page, Apple-authorized service providers are also able to unlock computers with EFI passwords, so perhaps you’d have better luck explaining your situation to one of those service providers than you’ve had with explaining your situation to the Danish Apple store.

Jul 20, 2014 11:28 AM in response to ChrisEenberg

That will NOT work.

The Receipt is a Fundamental for the Engineers; I agree. I suffer from the SAME Issue, yet I Agree with them. The Privacy of anyone is, and should be the main Concern. If you want the EFI Replaced, you'll need a new, (NEW), Chip placed in there. I have had to do this many times...

Firmware is what it is. I even put one on this, and it, (seems), that Apple placed one there, or the 'RALINK' G.B.I. Family Controller did it: AT&T U-Verse...

Jul 20, 2014 2:09 PM in response to ChrisEenberg

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

There are many things to consider when looking for the EFI, and it's mighty small. If the web-source were to open an EFI Passcode/Update, it's something that i would not use on my own. I would want Apple to contact them, thus allowing for a fresh bootable OS X to be Installed. replacing the EFI is the least of the cumbersome underlaying issues that One encounters. Getting the EFI Unlocked is another...

efi lock removal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.