Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When moving a file using drag and drop, as I hover over the destination folder it no longer opens, so I can't drop the file into the folder. Why?

When moving a file using drag and drop, as I hover over the destination folder it no longer opens, so I can't drop the file into the folder. Why? I have a heirarchical embedded folder structure under \Documents. Usually, as I drag the file to be moved over the various folders, they will blink twice, then expand/open to reveal contents (in Finder). Now, when the file to be moved is held (hovering) over the destination folder, it will not blink or expand, so there's no place to drop the file. If I release the mouse button, the file image disappears, showing that it is "going back to the place it came from", a.k.a. was not moved. This just started happening. I noticed it after upgrading to Mavericks. Is this a bug or could anything else be causing this?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Finder will not open any foldersD&D

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 10:28 AM

Choose Preferences from the Finder menu, click on the General tab, and check the settings for spring-loaded folders and windows.

(107861)

8 replies

Jun 12, 2014 12:22 PM in response to Stephen450

As of today, Apple Support discovered during a remote support session with me that the same thing happens on their own system. It is isolated to "Column View"; the Icon and List views in Finder behave correctly. Issue is being escalated to engineering, and Apple will call to report status in a couple days. In all likelihood, this is a bug that will need to be addressed in a future update.

Apr 12, 2015 6:48 PM in response to Stephen450

Depending on the system version there is always/usually/often(?) a place where you can check ON or OFF the desired behavior. On 10.10.2 (and earlier-- how earlier I don't know) there was a checkbox in Finder Preferences-->General tab. That went away in 10.10.3 but in 10.10.3 in System Preferences-->Accessibility-->Mouse&Trackpad there is a similar checkbox for "spring" behavior.

When moving a file using drag and drop, as I hover over the destination folder it no longer opens, so I can't drop the file into the folder. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.