Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disk utility space

hello guys,

i am wondering why does my finder say that i have 60+GB and my disk utility only says i have 16+GB??

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3), i5 2.53Ghz, 8GB ram, HDD + SSD

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 1:39 PM

10 replies

Jun 6, 2014 2:55 PM in response to Kappy

@Kappy

so thank you, i restarted into my recovery partition and ran disk utility.... there were a lot of errors. i repaired the disk and the permissions... both the actual drive and the partition i use on it....

restarted my mac but it still shows a discrepancy.... now its 30 vs 60

that is in my opinion still pretty big.... what else can i do?

Jun 6, 2014 3:02 PM in response to becks87

Note what Niel has posted about Time Machine local snapshots. If you have Time Machine enabled but the computer is not always connected to the Time Machine backup drive, then it creates these backup snapshots on the main drive. Normally, as you require the use of that space the OS erases the snapshots to provide additional space on the drive, so they can be ignored as a real issue. However, if for some reason this is not the case, then there is something you can do to remove unwanted snapshots:

Time Machine Snapshots

Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder and enter or paste the appropriate command line. Press RETURN and enter your admin password when prompted. It will not be echoed. Press RETURN again.

To turn them ON: sudo tmutil enablelocal

To turn them OFF: sudo tmutil disablelocal

Note that turning them OFF will also delete all existing snapshots.

For more about snapshots see: OS X Mountain Lion- About local snapshots or About Time Machine local snapshots.

disk utility space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.