Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't install (at all) on my Windows 8.1 64 bit computer

I've tried downloading iTunes for Windows 8.1 64-bit computers and it won't install on my machine. I did everything like I think I was supposed to ... but nothing happens. In addition I've tried connnecting my iPhone 5S to a USB port ... nothing good happens. My computer recognizes the iPhone but it won't do anything with it. Also I've tried the suggestions from "windows 8.1 itunes wont recognize iphone: Apple Support Communitites" which entertains that I can open control panel ... find Device Manager and try to install new driver software from my disk ... with the suggestion that I 'browse' and find "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers. ... and "Apple" does not exist under Common Files of either "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)"

So now what????

iPhone 5s

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 3:47 PM

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down page in case one of them applies.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

If you've already tried a complete uninstall and reinstall try opening iTunes in safe mode (hold down CTRL+SHIFT) as you start iTunes, then going to Edit > Preferences > Store and turing off Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases. You may find iTunes will now start normally.

tt2

33 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2014 3:47 PM in response to dean_sfbc

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down page in case one of them applies.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there is backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

If you've already tried a complete uninstall and reinstall try opening iTunes in safe mode (hold down CTRL+SHIFT) as you start iTunes, then going to Edit > Preferences > Store and turing off Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases. You may find iTunes will now start normally.

tt2

Jun 7, 2014 8:29 AM in response to turingtest2

Okay - I guess I didn't mention that there are no "iTunes" files or folders anywhere on my computer that I can find. Although I downloaded and (supossedly) installed "iTunes" software - it is nowhere to be found.

Your suggestion, although seemingly helpfull, is of no use at all to me.

I CAN'T INSTALL ITUNES AND I CAN'T FIND ANY SUPPORT ON MY WINDOWS 8.1 64-BIT MACHINE.

I'm more than frustrated with this ... I'm totally upset (read this a "****** off") about how Microsoft and Apple can't seem to get along long enough to make things like this cease to happen.

Dean

Jul 31, 2014 1:46 AM in response to sandblower

And this isn't a Windows RT device, and you downloaded the correct 32/64 version as appropriate? Can you please download a fresh copy of the setup file using one of the two links in the Further Information area of the user tip. Right-click or ctrl-right-click on the installer to see if you can Run as Administrator. If it won't install can you please post back the exact text of any error message.

tt2

Dec 6, 2014 3:55 PM in response to dean_sfbc

I'll tell you what I get. Can't install apple mobile device support. NO OTHER STATEMENT! When I try to instal it via device manager - I get info is invalid. My computer won't even recognize my new iphone. Had it in tech support for two days - no help from them. Am going to take my computer to a microsoft store and let them look at the error messages.

Feb 17, 2015 3:16 PM in response to dean_sfbc

I had iTunes working on my Windows 8.1 machine. I copied a CD in, using iTunes, shut everything down, then when I got home, I tried to open iTunes so I could get the files moved to my phone. Rather, I tried to open 4media ipod max, since I use more than one laptop for my music needs. 4 media wouldn't open because there was an error with iTunes. So I uninstalled iTunes and deleted all folders associated with it and tried to re-install... it gives me an error saying that a dll is missing and I have to contact my network manager. Now I've uninstalled both programs and it still won't install--same dll error. I thought because they share dlls that this would help, but now I can't do anything. My hot spot doesn't work with the laptop any more, nothing apple or iTunes related will. I've tried the suggestions above, to no avail. Any thing else I could be missing that might be causing this conflict? I did download the 64-bit version for my machine.

Feb 17, 2015 3:44 PM in response to Misstresslala

What is the full text of the error message?

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

If the advice above doesn't resolve things you could try this alternate version:

iTunes 12.1.0.71 for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) - itunes64setup.exe (2015-01-28)

which is a 64-bit installer for the 32-bit version of the core application, similar to previous 64-bit releases.

Or roll back to the previous build:

tt2

iTunes won't install (at all) on my Windows 8.1 64 bit computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.