Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My music will not sync to my iPhone from iTunes. Why does it say I need more space?

My iPhone and iTunes are all synced up to date as of June 7th. I went to sync my music library. I checked to only sync my selected songs (approximately 1200). It worked fine earlier this week before I updated iTunes. I went to add another 10-20 songs today, and it didn't work. It said I need an additional 4.77 GB of data. I have 2 GB available still on my 16 GB phone, which is more than enough for the 10-20 songs. I updated iTunes after this occurred but I still have the same problem. When I check my music on my phone, no playlists show up but y music and artists are the same as before, minus the new music i added to my iTunes. On a side note, the extra space it's saying I need is about the size of the current music on my phone; it seems to be asking to sync it twice?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Jun 6, 2014 11:46 PM

1 reply

Jun 9, 2014 10:54 AM in response to 2Chainz

Hey there 2Chainz,

It sounds like youre being prompted that there is not enough space. I would use the following article to help resolve the issue named:

iOS: "Not enough free space" alert when trying to sync

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1503

Try disconnecting and reconnecting your device, then syncing again to solve this issue.

Orphaned files may remain on your iOS device if it is physically disconnected while syncing music, podcasts, videos, or photos. This can prevent iTunes from syncing the iOS device on subsequent sync sessions. When this happens, the Capacity indicator in iTunes may report a large amount of "Other" disk usage for the iOS device. To resolve this issue:

1. Turn off the music or photo sync option in iTunes for the device.
  2. Click Apply to sync the changes to the device.
  3. Turn the music and photo sync options for the device on again.
  4. Click Apply again to try to sync the device to iTunes.
    If the 'Not enough free space' alert appears, continue to step 5.
  5. Turn off the automatic syncing functions for the iOS device. To do this:
    1. Select the iOS device from the iTunes window and click the Summary tab.
    2. Deselect "Automatically sync when this device is connected" and select the "Sync only checked songs and videos" checkbox.
    3. Click Apply to sync the changes to the device.
    4. Reduce the amount of data that is being synced to the device and resync the device. For example, if syncing your Music library exceeds the memory capacity of the device, choose "Selected playlists" to transfer rather than "All songs and playlists" under the Music tab in iTunes.
      If the 'Not enough free space' alert appears, continue to step 6.
  6. Restore using iTunes.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards,

Sterling

My music will not sync to my iPhone from iTunes. Why does it say I need more space?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.