Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes errors (-54) and (13010)

Hello dear Apple community. I have a problem (and I see I'm not the only one) with these two errors (-54) and (13010).

The thing is that I didn't have any kind of error with iTunes untill the update 11.2.1 I can't sync my iPod aymore as it says "iPod can't be synced Unknown Error (-54)" or "iPod can't be synced Unknown Error (13010)".

Today was the last thing I could take as I wanted to add pictures to my Photo gallery and while syncing normally it got to Step 4 of 4 (Importing Photos) and it stopped completely at 10 pics changing suddenly to a message saying "Deleting Photos" Doing just that. Deleting my entire Photo gallery. I started Googling how to fix these errors but I got the other error numbers and I stumbled into one question that had a reply saying "Deleting iTunes Library Genius.itdb works" with lots of other comments saying that it did work I decided to try it out. The only thing that happened when I deleted said file was that when I opened iTunes, it automatically created another file with the exact same name. Now I read in other threads that the update 11.2.1 started having the Genius help or something like that which created that Library Genius.itdb file. Maybe it's me, maybe they removed support for iPods Gen 2 and 3 but I see that most of people who has these same problems have devices that are Generation 4 and high which makes get to a conclusion: The update got screwed up at some point or as other threads said, it got "Corrupted"

I use Windows 7 making some files to be harder to find than in a Mac but I really would appreciate that if someone out there have an answer to me, someone who also uses Windows 7 and found an answer to this problem. Please. And I really mean it. Please. Let me know how you could and what you did to repair it. But if there isn't any solution to date, I guess I'll have to wait to the next update and see if it's fixed or not.

For your attention, Thank You.

Windows 7

Posted on Jun 7, 2014 2:32 AM

19 replies

Jun 9, 2014 8:18 PM in response to NightWarriorDima

Ok guys. It's Dima again. I have some info that might help on how to fix Error 13010, looking around on the internet I found out that Error 13010 is an error produced by the computer itself. It's an error caused by a Registry Error or invalid entrance, it also might be an empty archive on your OS. While looking on how to fix this I found a pretty good program to fix Registry Errors, it's called "CCleaner" even though you need to buy it, it works just fine, Error 13010 has disappeared completely. But I still get the (-54) Error, I'm still investigating on how to fix it. If I get a clue I'll update the thread.

Thank you for reading again and have a nice week

Jun 12, 2014 9:58 PM in response to NightWarriorDima

Hello again dear Apple community Dima here again.

Aparently the so called Error (-54) was caused by my photos, I deleted the iPod Photo Cache folder and optimized the pics again. After it finished it completely added the pics but, there's a but, on the Sync finishing it deleted them again ad cancelled saying Error (-54) again. I decided to remove the pics and it syncs just well. I recomend you to not sync your pics until it's fixed. Sorry, that's all I have for the moment I hGood night, afternoon or morning depending on the time you read it.

For your attention again, thank you.

Dima

Jun 16, 2014 7:06 AM in response to NightWarriorDima

Dima,

I have been getting the Error (-54) everytime I sync my iPhone 5, iPad 2, and iPod Touch(5th Gen) during the last two updates of iTunes. I am using windows 8.1.

I have tried everything I can think of, including unchecking the sync photos and removing the pics. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing iTunes several times. I spent more than 30 minutes on the phone with Apple support with no real solutions. It seems the only way I can get an error-free sync now is to shut down and restart my pc before each sync. To me, this is unacceptable. I am spending far too much time problem solving and not enough time enjoying my Apple devices.

To Apple:

Everyone I talk to that runs Windows is having nothing but trouble and you are risking alienating users. Please either (1) reach out to users on these threads who are having trouble and help them resolve or (2) come up with a resolution and roll it out immediately.

Jun 16, 2014 11:41 PM in response to bruzr8

Hello bruzr8,

You're not the only one, I browsed some threads about (-54) and some of them have problems since update 7.8.2 too, not only 11.2.1, I use Windows 7 Starter. The thing is that I find it unfair that you have to Shut down or restart your PC in order to get an error-free sync, I tried that, but it does not work, in fact it makes it worse since I get the error more often at restarting the PC, sometimes I find myself connecting and disconnecting my iPod at least 5 or 6 times until I get a solid error-free sync. I do have some questions for you if you allow me, it started happening to me recently so I was wondering if it happened to you. After a sync, does your device get emptied? Like entering the music library and finding out your music is gone? Also, after a sync, the music does not play, you choose a song and it takes you right back to the playlist or the "All Songs" tab? It has happened to me quite a few times. I'm starting to get too frustrated at this that I want to give up on Apple.

You have a good point for Apple, either they start looking for solutions or lose a big number of customers that use Windows. Spending too much time on the phone with support it's not good, you might have important things to do and end up getting late because of this, plus your phone bill might get a bit expensive, I mean, it would be worth it if you actually got a solution, but ending in dead ends it's not worth the headaches nor the time loss.

I'm still looking for a solution and keeping my hopes up. Windows users, please raise your voice too, they won't hear us unless we do this, some threads are old enough to be ignored. They have to give support to Windows as they do to their own products, it's unfair that we have to figure out things by ourselves.

Thanks for your time again.

Have a nice week.

NightWarriorDima.

Jun 22, 2014 5:36 PM in response to bruzr8

This is certainly not an issue exclusive to Windows users.

I have Mac with the iTunes library located on a QNAP NAS on my LAN.

I have been getting this error 13010 with some consistency for the past 2 months. I have deleted iTunes Library Genius.itdb everytime the error shows up.

iTunes Genius is turned off in iTunes.

There doesn't seem to be any consistent fix for this issue. Worse, there is no suitable alternative for iTunes on the Mac.

Jun 24, 2014 9:15 PM in response to MarcStress

Hello MarcStress,

I have indeed seen other threads that have these problems on Mac too, I was actually aiming a little bit to Windows users. Since most of those threads already solved the problems on their Macs, I thought I'll give it a chance to help or look for help for Windows users.

Some of those have done the same (deleting said file) and yes, their problem was not solved, since I'm not familiar with your OS I cannot look for too much solutions. Now, the Error 13010 as I see is neither the OS fault or some kind of bug on iTunes update.

My iTunes has not presented any (13010) error since I downloaded that fixing program.

I have a question though. Does your iTunes connect properly to iTunes Store? I've clicked on "Run Diagnostics" a few times and every time it finishes it says there is no safe connection to it, which makes me think it has something to do with (-54) error, I might be wrong but it's worth a shot, right?

Have a nice week and hope we can solve our problems.

NightWarriorDima

Jun 25, 2014 6:24 AM in response to NightWarriorDima

Hi NightWarriorDima::

Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread. Just wanted to point out that his is an iTunes issue, not a Win/Mac issue. Hope I'm not being redundant.

My iTunes installs that are seeing these errors connect to the iTunes Store properly. Though, I haven't try to make any purchases, connecting and searching the store works as expected.

I'm on the road to abandoning iTunes. The past two years of the user experience have been too frustrating for me.

I hope the iTunes team at Apple can look at some of the competitive product — MediaMonkey, Swinsian— and make iTunes a healthy experience for all.

In 25 years of collecting music, and the past 14+ digitizing all of into iTunes, I'm afraid I've outgrown it. I'm guessing that users in this thread and others with similar errors have libraries with >25k tracks, and maybe even a few with >100k.

I would be more than happy to purchase a Pro version of iTunes if it meant a less bloated software solution, and more attention to these kinds of pervasive errors. Others have written about iTunesPro more than 5 years ago.

I hope these problems can be solved too, but I don't think it's user error, we need Apples support and help on this.

Marc

Jun 25, 2014 7:55 PM in response to MarcStress

Hey there Marc, don't worry you're not hijacking anything.

Actually you cleared up a bit more of what's going on, thanks! I see now that it was iTunes from the start, I knew it but I denied it.

Anyway, thanks again for clarifying the error. I might think too on leaving iTunes behind...

Let's hope that the team as you say, find a way to make iTunes healthier.

Greetings from Dima

Jul 13, 2014 7:06 AM in response to NightWarriorDima

Afternoon. I am also having problems with this 'Error -54' when trying to sync/back up/add music to my iPhone 5s with iTunes using Windows 8.1. I've been to the Apple store who insisted it was not their problem and didn't really seem to care. They reluctantly replaced my handset (I did have network issues too) but nothing changed. I still get the Error. I had reset my original handset 3-4 times. Completely wiped of all photos and data. Nothing changed. I contacted Microsoft who gave me a couple of things to try despite saying it DOES NOT look like a Microsoft issue. I came across the following message:

'Apple Mobile Device USB Driver is and older USB device and might not work with USB 3.0. Plug the device into and available USB 2.0 port, and Next. Otherwise, click cancel'

I plugged my data cable into the only USB 2.0 port on my laptop but the error still occurs so it can't be a driver issue can it? I'm not that computer literate so I am not really sure what I'm talking about!

I called Apple. They gave me instructions on how to correctly uninstall iTunes and all associated programs and then reinstall them. Nothing changed.

Today I tried using iTunes on Windows 8 (I know it definitely worked fine on that) and 7. Guess what? Nothing changed.

I'm getting a bit annoyed with this now. I cannot back up or add music to my phone. I, like you, have paid out big money for a phone that I cannot use to it's full potential and Apple are not interested! I am going back to the Apple Store tomorrow as the replacement handset has an unrelated earphone jack problem. I'm going to stay there until I get some answers about Error -54.

Cheers.

M.

Jul 15, 2014 11:41 AM in response to Markc1871

oh thank you thank you thankyou!!! ive done everything you have done as well but I do not have a apple store within 100 miles of me and of course my issue is with my ipad. I keep getting unknown error (-54). and error (11556). I have as well spent a ton of money on my apple devices and im getting very irritated that they fall apart on me. my ipod 1st generation wont even start up now. now power. now that im trying to download my music from my iTunes library to my ipad 2nd generation after successfully installing everything I needed to install, (and I did my homework to make sure I did install the right updates) and still, no sync for me. I hope you get some answers and bring them back. that would be amazing!!!!!!

Dec 26, 2014 1:31 AM in response to NightWarriorDima

This worked for me.

Error -54 is a file permissions issue -

if you open the Start menu & type %userprofile% (including both % symbols) then hit Enter you should see the My Music folder, which is the default location for iTunes music files.

Open My Music, select the iTunes folder

Then, make sure you have sufficient control over the contents of that folder -

right-click on the folder, go to Properties

Security tab, Advanced..

Permissions tab, Change Permissions...

click your account name in the list, make sure it says 'Full Control' [if not, reply to that effect & we will need to revise this answer]

check the box underneath for "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object"

click OK. That should recursively give correct permissions right down the folder hierarchy.

Apr 13, 2015 5:36 PM in response to havinath

Error -54 is a file permissions issue -

if you open the Start menu & type %userprofile% (including both % symbols) then hit Enter you should see the My Music folder, which is the default location for iTunes music files.

Open My Music, select the iTunes folder

Then, make sure you have sufficient control over the contents of that folder -

right-click on the folder, go to Properties

Security tab, Advanced..

Permissions tab, Change Permissions...

click your account name in the list, make sure it says 'Full Control' [if not, reply to that effect & we will need to revise this answer]

check the box underneath for "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object"

click OK. That should recursively give correct permissions right down the folder hierarchy.

Thank you havinath this worked for me too!

iTunes errors (-54) and (13010)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.