Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I reduce the size of "Others" in iTunes' information bar for iPhone usage at the bottom of the "General"-screen?

When I open iTunes and attach my iPhone to the PC, click on "iPhone" and then on "Overall-view" (the leftmost Item at the top bar, "Übersicht" in German), I see on the bar at the bottom of the screen from left to right: "Audio - Fotos - Apps - Documents/Data - Others - Free". Now my question: What does "Others" include and how can I reduce "Others"? At my iPhone it takes 2.5 GB. I have cleared all my e-mails, how can I reduce it further in order to get more free space? Thank you very much in advance!

Windows 8

Posted on Jun 7, 2014 6:06 AM

5 replies

Jun 9, 2014 9:38 AM in response to Hans M

Hi Hans,

“Other” space has several sources. Some ways of removing unneeded files from it can be found in this article -

iOS: "Not enough free space" alert when trying to sync

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1503

Specifically -

Orphaned files may remain on your iOS device if it is physically disconnected while syncing music, podcasts, videos, or photos. This can prevent iTunes from syncing the iOS device on subsequent sync sessions. When this happens, the Capacity indicator in iTunes may report a large amount of "Other" disk usage for the iOS device. To resolve this issue:

1. Turn off the music or photo sync option in iTunes for the device.
  2. Click Apply to sync the changes to the device.
  3. Turn the music and photo sync options for the device on again.
  4. Click Apply again to try to sync the device to iTunes.
    If the 'Not enough free space' alert appears, continue to step 5.
  5. Turn off the automatic syncing functions for the iOS device. To do this:
    1. Select the iOS device from the iTunes window and click the Summary tab.
    2. Deselect "Automatically sync when this device is connected" and select the "Sync only checked songs and videos" checkbox.
    3. Click Apply to sync the changes to the device.
    4. Reduce the amount of data that is being synced to the device and resync the device. For example, if syncing your Music library exceeds the memory capacity of the device, choose "Selected playlists" to transfer rather than "All songs and playlists" under the Music tab in iTunes.
      If the 'Not enough free space' alert appears, continue to step 6.
  6. Restore using iTunes.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

Jul 1, 2014 11:38 PM in response to Brett L

Hi Brett, thank you very much for your suggestions.

I did all these actions you mentioned but I
still got 2.49 GB "others" out of 13.26 GB. Could it be that that is
normal? I cleared all my e-mails and stuff not specifically shown on the
iTunes-usage bar. Anyway thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Hans

Oct 4, 2015 7:33 AM in response to Hans M

I have the same problem as Hans with too much memory taken up by the "other" section - currently 3gb out of 8 in total in my iphone 4S. I have applied the different pieces of advice given here - I reset the iphone several times. I emptied all the caches, got rid of all photos and music and most of the apps, but still the 3gb won't disappear. Any thoughts?

How can I reduce the size of "Others" in iTunes' information bar for iPhone usage at the bottom of the "General"-screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.