Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mini DV cassette with CM: Cassette Memory

I have: Sony digital video camera recorder DCR-TRV 11

I am going to store the mini DV cassette that is now full and use it as an archive, so I have to buy a new mini DV cassette.

According to the Sony manual for the camcorder I have to buy the Mini DV cassette only — not any other.The manual also recommends getting a tape with cassette memory. (Marked CM on the tape.)

I just called Circuit City and asked them if they have available any mini DV cassettes with memory, and the salesman in that department told me NO, that they do have tapes, but not CM tapes. He said that to get tapes with cassette memory, I have to order from Sony.

QUESTION:
Is this true about getting mini digital cassettes with CM only from Sony?
Is CM really necessary if I am just going to upload all the footage onto my iMac anyway? (I never really used CM with the first tape I filled up but that was because I was recording from the seat of my pants, so to speak — not really having read the manual about the features and uses of the Sony. I am not proud of this, but it is a fact.)

Also, is there any downside to buying the cassette with the maximum capacity — 16 KB? (Remember, this is for a Sony digital video camera recorder DCR-TRV 11, not a newer camcorder that may accomodate more.)

I would appreciate any input you might send my way. Thank you in advance for your help.

Lorna in Southern California

17" flatscreen iMac, 1 GHz Power PC G4, 768 MB DDR SDRAM, Mac OS X (10.4.7), LaCie external hard drive, 111 Gigabytes, iPhoto 6.0.4, Canoscan scanner

Posted on Sep 9, 2006 12:14 PM

2 replies

Sep 9, 2006 12:44 PM in response to Lorna from Hawaii

Lorna,

Your manual says you can only use miniDV tapes in your camera. While Sony suggests that you use tapes with memory, it's not a requirement.

Your camera has features that can utilize cassette memory to store metadata about your video.

However, iMovie cannot make use of the memory.

Unless you are using features on your camera that require cassette memory (and it doesn't sound like you are), I'd save a few bucks and go without it.

Matt

Sep 17, 2006 4:48 PM in response to Matthew Morgan

Lorna,

Your manual says you can only use miniDV tapes
in your camera. While Sony suggests that you use
tapes with memory, it's not a requirement.

Your camera has features that can utilize cassette
memory to store metadata about your video.

However, iMovie cannot make use of the memory.

Unless you are using features on your camera that
require cassette memory (and it doesn't sound like
you are), I'd save a few bucks and go without it.

Matt

Matt, I LIKE this news. I will go to Circuit City (or wherever) and buy what I need. I will buy the one that can be played the longest. Thank you.

Lorna in Southern California

Mini DV cassette with CM: Cassette Memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.