Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage for Mac freezing

When I receive a text it appears in the corner. When I click the new message, the app freezes. I force quit, open it up again, it freezes again. I can say that I've never seen the setup of iMessage for Mac. I've tried opening it at least 20 times and had to force quit it everytime because it refuses to open. I've sent numerous reports to Apple and doing so is clearly trash because it has yet to be fixed. No purpose in gathering my information when there's no resolution. When I open iMessage on its own, the spinning beach ball appears at the tool bar on the top, of course because it's frozen.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Jun 7, 2014 9:33 AM

2 replies

Jun 9, 2014 12:39 PM in response to Mermaid A

Hi Mermaid A,

Your issue of Messages for Mac being unable to launch sounds very frustrating. If I may suggest following the basic troubleshooting steps outlined in this article -

Mac OS X: How to troubleshoot a software issue

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1199

In particular this section -

If the issue occurs in one application only

For example, one application does not open or unexpectedly quits. Mac OS X v10.4 and later can help with applications that unexpectedly quit by offering to open the application with default settings. If this doesn't help, skip to "Drag the application to the Trash and reinstall it if the issue persists..." below.

1. Make sure you are using the latest version of the software. Check with the manufacturer if the product is published by a third party.
  2. If the issue only occurs while using a specific document, try creating a new document or replacing your document with a backup. Your document may be damaged. If possible, try testing with either a new file or a known-good file.
  3. Drag the application to the Trash and reinstall it if the issue persists. Some Apple applications that may have been included with your computer can be reinstalled by using the Install, Restore, or iLife disc that came with the computer. See these links for more information:

If this does not resolve the issue, use steps from this article -

Mac OS X: Gray screen appears during startup

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2570

Starting with

Perform a Safe Boot.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best,

Brett L

iMessage for Mac freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.