Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flash Drive will not format with Disk Utility

I am in need of help. I have looked through a ton of forums looking for the answer to this but can't find anything. I have a flash drive that I was using and while I was transfering a large file the drive unmounted and now it is showing "Read only". In the Disk Utility, the Erase and Repair are grayed out. When I verify the drive it says this:

Checking file system** /dev/disk1

** Phase 1 - Preparing FAT

** Phase 2 - Checking Directories

/CJB/myfolder/_Reference/AA45608_737_Livery_7b_RtRear_d_RGB.tif has too many clusters allocated (logical=1235222528, physical=1719664640)

Drop superfluous clusters? no

** Phase 3 - Checking for Orphan Clusters

Free space in FSInfo block (1439592) not correct (1379432)

Fix? no

424 files, 11035456 KiB free (1379432 clusters)

Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.

I have also tried:

diskutil repairVolume CHAD

I have located the drive in terminal and this is what it says:

drwxrwxrwx@ 1 BDesign staff 8192 Dec 31 1979 CHAD

When I show information in Disk Utility it shows Writable No. Can anyone help me. I don't need the info on my Flash Drive. I just want to format it and get it working again.

Thanks

MacBook Pro, iOS 7.1.1, Formatting with MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 7, 2014 2:37 PM

4 replies

Jun 7, 2014 3:12 PM in response to daboss07

Some flash drives have a failure mode in which they are irreversibly write-locked by the internal controller when it detects a write error. If the drive doesn't have a write-lock switch (most do not) and you can't erase it in Disk Utility, that's almost certainly what has happened. To be sure, test it with another computer, if possible.

Flash Drive will not format with Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.