Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I know if a URL already exists in the bookmarks when I try to add a new bookmark?

I have always been troubled by this problem because I have hundreds of bookmarks and I often can not remember whether a page has been saved.

When I try to transfer to Safari from Chrome I found this very serious problem because Chrome has a reminder of duplicate bookmarks.

I know there are some ways to find dupes and delete them. But what I want is getting a reminder about whether the bookmark already exists, and where, before the duplicate generated.

So is there any way to solve this problem? Or will Apple make improvements in the new version in OS X 10.10?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Jun 8, 2014 12:44 AM

3 replies

Aug 12, 2014 2:30 AM in response to Ethan Jin

I entirely agree that Safari is way behind Chrome in this.

If I navigate to a site or follow links to a site that I find interesting in Chrome, Chrome's "Favourites star" shows me if it's a site I've already bookmarked: white = "not bookmarked", yellow = "already bookmarked". The information is immediately presented to me without my doing anything.

To get the same information in Safari I have to go through at least 4 separate steps, taking 20 seconds or more. Not an enormous amount of time, but an irritating process which side-tracks one's work-flow.

How do I know if a URL already exists in the bookmarks when I try to add a new bookmark?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.