Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to bypass Firmware password for disk repairing on startup (command+R)

Hi, I lost my firmware password and now, my computer is so slow. I want to use some fixing tools and want to start from disk repairing on startup with Command+R than disk utility. There is lost firmware password on the computer and can't use the disk utility with out password.

Are there any method for bypass the password before disk utility or direct entrance to disk utility with any command etc. from terminal?

Thanks...

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), i7 4850HQ, 16GB RAM, Geforce 750M

Posted on Jun 8, 2014 6:32 AM

4 replies

Jun 8, 2014 7:29 AM in response to ledstixx

On some of the older macs, you can reset the firmware password simply by removing the RAM. If that doesn't work for your model, you'll need to take it into Apple to get the firmware password reset. A firmware password is esentially a password on the logic board, not something that can be bypassed.

If you need to take it in to Apple, proof of ownership is needed.

Regards,

Gnomish8

Jun 9, 2014 12:34 PM in response to Gnomish8

Hi, thanks for reply but I have really big problem now. I programmed the computer for next boot from /Volumes/mac the mac was my bootable USB stick (installed mountain lion). I restarted computer but didn't work. Now I can't change the boot settings because I can't start the computer. If I try open with startup manager (Command+R) there is firmware password. With out any button combination there is a folder symbol on the white screen with question mark. So the computer compeletely off-line now. Can't use it.

Anybody help?

How to bypass Firmware password for disk repairing on startup (command+R)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.