Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

slow slow slow connection to internet iMac

Hi,

I have been living with this because of other issues but now I would like to do something about this terribly slow connectining to

the internet that this newer imac seems to have.

When I type in a url or click on a bookmark in the favorites bar, or otherwise attempt to connect to a site, the connection speed

on this imac is horrible. The other imac sitting next to it does not seem to experience this. So I am guessing this rules out a lot

of things: hughesnet(groan..), apple extreme(newer), and other of the usual connection issues.

I do not have lots of stull open at the same time and am using Safari predominatly, but some Firefox, and Chrome too.

I would REALLY appreciate any suggestions as to what to do before calling Apple about this.

Thanks,

Gary

This is Mavericks latest update, 16GB RAM, 3.1 Ghz Intel Core I7. using wifi.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Intel based

Posted on Jun 8, 2014 7:16 AM

6 replies

Jun 8, 2014 9:27 AM in response to gglaze

Please answer as many of the following questions as you can. You may already have answered some of them; in that case, there's no need to repeat the answers.

• Restart your router and your broadband device, if they're separate. Any change?
  • Run Software Update and install all available updates for OS X or your computer's firmware. Any change?
  • If possible, connect to your router with an Ethernet cable and turn off Wi-Fi. Any difference?
  • Are any other devices on the network, and if so, are they the same?
  • If you can connect to more than one network, are they all the same?
  • Are all network applications affected, or only some? If only some, which ones?
  • Is networking always the same, or is the problem intermittent?
  • Disconnect all other devices from the network. Any change?
  • If you're running a MacBook with the lid closed, open the lid. Any difference?
  • Start up in safe mode and test. Any difference?
  • Start up in Recovery mode. From the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch. No plugins, such as Flash, will be available. Any difference?
  • If possible, turn off Bluetooth and disconnect any USB 3 devices. Any difference?

Jun 8, 2014 10:09 AM in response to gglaze

First, make sure you're accessing good DNS servers (when you click any link, it's sent to a DNS server in your area to be translated into the IP address).

Open System Preferences in the Apple menu.

Click Network.

Click the lock and type your password.

On the left side of the Network pane is a column which should list Ethernet or wifi, whichever you're using. It will be green. Make sure it's selected.

Then click the Advanced button.

In the sheet that follows, click the DNS tab. You'll see the DNS servers you're using in the left column.

Click the + button to add a new DNS server. Type 8.8.8.8 and press -return-

Click the + button again and type 4.4.4.4 and return

Click the OK button to close the sheet

Click the Apply button in the lower right corner.

Quit and restart Safari and see if there is any improvement.

A second thing you can try:

In Safari, open the Safari preferences - either press command-comma while using Safari, or click Preferences in the Safari menu (upper left corner)

Click the Advanced preference. When it opens, check the "show Develop menu" checkbox so that it is checked.

You'll then see the Develop menu appear in the Safari menu bar. Pull down that menu and click "Empty Caches". The reason is that sometimes the cached data can become corrupted, leading to slow response times.

Let us know if either of these solutions helps.

Jun 8, 2014 12:06 PM in response to Kenneth Cohen1

Hi,

I will have to get back to this a little later.

I did restart the modem, router, and computer and the imac seems to access sites faster than before.

I also followed Kenneth Cohen 1 's advice and I don't see much difference in acces time but I think it is

hard to tell now, since I started witht the restarts. I am sure clearing the cache had some postive effect.

I am also really glad to have the answer from Linc Davis, since that will give me some things to continue to

check.

So, thanks for the quick replies, as I said, I will get back to this later.

You guys are the greatest !

Gary

slow slow slow connection to internet iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.