Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirDrop on ios not recognising contacts

I have an Apple ID which is an outlook address. However I use an icloud address for everything else and it is registered as alternate email address on my Apple ID. However when my contacts try to airdrop me they do not discover me unless they add my outlook address to their contacts or enable all users. Neither is really acceptable, so can anyone help please.

Many thanks.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Jun 8, 2014 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2014 10:27 AM

Are you willing to change AirDrop settings from "Contacts Only" to "Everyone?" You would still have to accept files before they are downloaded. That's one workaround.

Also, if you go to Contacts, and tap "Groups" in the upper left, is iCloud listed there?

13 replies

Jun 8, 2014 10:46 AM in response to Ffogboy

So you are saying that your Apple ID is your outlook mail, but your alternate, or rescue email is the iCloud and you cannot understand why Airdrop does not recognize the iCloud. I'm pretty certain that is because it is your rescue email, not your Apple ID email. I believe it would only recognize the actual Apple ID email address.

Jun 8, 2014 11:12 AM in response to Ffogboy

I am hoping that isn't the case although I suspect you are right. I can use the icloud address when I log into my account, so I thought it was more than a rescue address.

I guess it is part of the issue with not being able to merge accounts. I just don't want to have to change my email address with all my contacts just for this.

Jun 8, 2014 1:13 PM in response to Ffogboy

Thanks for trying to help. I find it quite hard to get my head around as I don't seem to have a separate Apple ID with my icloud address although I understand that this is implied when you get one. I tried to remove the email icloud email address from my account and them to look at the account for the icloud if but it just takes me back to my outlook ID. I will keep reading through all the links though.

AirDrop on ios not recognising contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.