12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 8:38 PM by Bob Timmons
Will Bev Level 1 (0 points)

I just got a new router, the NetGear AC1900, a.k.a. "The Nighthawk." It's really nice, and fast, but I want my wife's MacBook Air to still have Time Capsule functionality using the AirPort Base Station the Nighthawk replaced. So, I went into the AirPort Utility, and chaged the settings from "Create a Wireless Network" to "Extend a Wireless Network," and it doesn't seem to want to take.

So, I reset the device to factory defaults and did it all over again from scratch. No dice. After updating, here is what I get:

"Your AirPort wireless device is reporting the following information. Select the item to see more details. You can ignore a problem if you don't want it to make the Airport wireless device's satus light blink amber."

Ignore (Checkbox)   Item - Extend Network

"This Apply Wi-Fi base station was unable to extend the wireless network. Make sure the wireless network you're trying to extend was set up and is working correctly, that you entered a matching wireless network password into this device, and that this device is in range of the wireless network."

Well, all those things have been done correctly. I can't seem to make this thing work!

Any ideas? I'm extending a 2.4 Ghz network from the Nighthawk. Thanks for your help!

~Will

Extend Nighthawk wireless network
  • Bob Timmons Level 10 (98,079 points)

Apple's ''extend" function is a proprietary feature that is designed to only work with other Apple routers.

The Time Capsule...or any other Apple router....cannot wirelessly extend the signal from a 3rd party router.

• John Galt Level 8 (45,936 points)

What was your reason for purchasing the Netgear product vs. the considerably less expensive AirPort Extreme that would work with any existing Time Capsule?

• Will Bev Level 1 (0 points)

Well, that stinks... If I want access to the Time Capsule, then should I connect via ethernet from the switch on the back of the router? Or what if I uncheck the box that allows additional users... Hmph.

In answer to your question, John, the router kept dropping the network. The airport would remain with a green light on, but no one or nothing could see the network. I would have to unplug and plug in the airport to reset it. This would happen 2 to 5 times per week. I finally had enough. I attend grad school online, and my wife works from home online, so it was a needed investment. I researched best routers, and with its easy utility and beamforming technology, I went for it. Plus, my wife's work kicked a portion in for it.

Thanks anyway. I'd be interested to know if there's a way I could connect the TimeCapsule to the network, even if not wirelessly.

I'd be interested to know if there's a way I could connect the TimeCapsule to the network, even if not wirelessly.

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <--> ports on the Netgear router to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

AirPort Utility will automatically suggest the correct setup. Type in a few items and make a few clicks and you are done. I assume that the MacBook AIr is running a newer operating system like Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks.

Post back if you want/need step by step.

Okay, seems simple enough. I don't suppose if connected with CAT5 via the WAN "o" port it would then broadcast the correct wireless signal eh? Am I just grasping at straws now?

I don't suppose if connected with CAT5 via the WAN "o" port it would then broadcast the correct wireless signal eh?

It would....if you name the network exactly the same as the Netgear network and use exactly the same wireless network password as the Netgear router.

Before I do that, would I plug up with AirPort utility directly and set it to Extend Wireless Network? That's not proprietary? I mean, essentially it just puts it in bridge mode, right?

Let's go over this before you head too far down the wrong road. Hint.....you would never use "Extend" when you connect using Ethernet.

What version of AirPort Utility?

About AirPort Utility.png

Airport utility for windows, Ver 5.6.1

Thanks for your thorough help, Bob. I really appreciate it...

OK, thanks.

I am out until about 10 PM Central Daylight Time. Will post back at that time.

Any chance that you have an iPhone or iPad there? Setup is much faster and simpler if you have one handy.

I have a iphone and macbook air. but I'm getting my MBA right now, and I'm in the middle of homework (hence, the gaps between posts). But I can check back tomorrow.

Just give me the path, and I'll run with it. Thanks!

~Will

Power up the TC for a minute or two

Hold in the reset button for 10-12 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the TC to restart to a slow, blinking amber light

On the iPhone home screen......

Tap Settings

Tap Wi-Fi

Under the heading or Setup a New Airport Base Station....

Tap Time Capsule

The utility will take a minute to analzye things, then display a screen that is similar to illustration below

Uverse - Fios Setup.png

Network Name.........Type in the exact same same as the Netgear network

Base Station Name...Type in a name that you want to call the Time Capsule

Password..................Type in the exact same password as the Netgear network

Veriy..........................Verify the password

Click Next

The utility will setup everything for you. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done.

That's it.