Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I extend my wireless network? I keep getting an error

I just got a new router, the NetGear AC1900, a.k.a. "The Nighthawk." It's really nice, and fast, but I want my wife's MacBook Air to still have Time Capsule functionality using the AirPort Base Station the Nighthawk replaced. So, I went into the AirPort Utility, and chaged the settings from "Create a Wireless Network" to "Extend a Wireless Network," and it doesn't seem to want to take.

So, I reset the device to factory defaults and did it all over again from scratch. No dice. After updating, here is what I get:

"Your AirPort wireless device is reporting the following information. Select the item to see more details. You can ignore a problem if you don't want it to make the Airport wireless device's satus light blink amber."

Ignore (Checkbox) Item - Extend Network

"This Apply Wi-Fi base station was unable to extend the wireless network. Make sure the wireless network you're trying to extend was set up and is working correctly, that you entered a matching wireless network password into this device, and that this device is in range of the wireless network."

Well, all those things have been done correctly. I can't seem to make this thing work!

Any ideas? I'm extending a 2.4 Ghz network from the Nighthawk. Thanks for your help!

~Will

Extend Nighthawk wireless network

Posted on Jun 8, 2014 10:58 AM

13 replies

Jun 8, 2014 12:09 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Well, that stinks... If I want access to the Time Capsule, then should I connect via ethernet from the switch on the back of the router? Or what if I uncheck the box that allows additional users... Hmph.

In answer to your question, John, the router kept dropping the network. The airport would remain with a green light on, but no one or nothing could see the network. I would have to unplug and plug in the airport to reset it. This would happen 2 to 5 times per week. I finally had enough. I attend grad school online, and my wife works from home online, so it was a needed investment. I researched best routers, and with its easy utility and beamforming technology, I went for it. Plus, my wife's work kicked a portion in for it.

Thanks anyway. I'd be interested to know if there's a way I could connect the TimeCapsule to the network, even if not wirelessly.

Jun 8, 2014 1:24 PM in response to Will Bev

I'd be interested to know if there's a way I could connect the TimeCapsule to the network, even if not wirelessly.

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <--> ports on the Netgear router to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule.

AirPort Utility will automatically suggest the correct setup. Type in a few items and make a few clicks and you are done. I assume that the MacBook AIr is running a newer operating system like Lion, Mountain Lion or Mavericks.

Post back if you want/need step by step.

Jun 8, 2014 8:38 PM in response to Will Bev

Power up the TC for a minute or two

Hold in the reset button for 10-12 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the TC to restart to a slow, blinking amber light

On the iPhone home screen......

Tap Settings

Tap Wi-Fi

Under the heading or Setup a New Airport Base Station....

Tap Time Capsule

The utility will take a minute to analzye things, then display a screen that is similar to illustration below

User uploaded file

Network Name.........Type in the exact same same as the Netgear network

Base Station Name...Type in a name that you want to call the Time Capsule

Password..................Type in the exact same password as the Netgear network

Veriy..........................Verify the password

Click Next

The utility will setup everything for you. When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done.

That's it.

How do I extend my wireless network? I keep getting an error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.