Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Youtube App buffering issue?

Hello, my iPad Air (Wi-Fi only Model) has been having issues with the Youtube app recently, and I want to see if anyone else is having any issues. My issue comes down to the iPad Youtube app being unable to buffer certain videos. It's a really strange problem. This problem started about when 7.1.1 came out, I believe.

I will watch a 30 minute "Let's Play Minecraft" video from Rooster Teeth/Achievement Hunter at 720p without any issues. Then, watch a four (4) minute music video and throughout that short video, the quality will change from 720p to 240p and keeping changing throughout the video till it's over, but the video never stops playing.

I ran a speed test with the OOKLA speed test app. My ping is 21, with a Downoad rate of 39Mbps, and an Upload rate of 11.5Mbps.

Strange thing is, my iPhone 5 will play the videos that I have an issue with on my iPad, just fine.

So, is this an issue with the iPad Youtube app, or could something else be happening?

Thank you in advance!

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Jun 8, 2014 12:00 PM

10 replies

Jan 18, 2015 1:33 AM in response to 2tired2care

I was having the exact same issue in my (now sold) iPad Air, and I'm having the exact same issue with my iPhone 6 Plus. Both devices have 4G connections at about 70 Mbps and my Wi-Fi at home is the lateat AirPort Extreme on a 100/100 fiber connection, and of course YouTube on my TV, Mac and PS4 work perfectly. Something is seriously wrong with the YouTube iOS app.

Did anyone find a solution?

Jun 26, 2014 10:58 PM in response to WeeLittleNano

I have observed that, at least in my case, this problem only occurs when the quality is set to the default "auto". So, now that 1080p is available through the app, I'm only experiencing quality drops because the 802.11n connection can't always keep up (this wasn't a problem when 720p was the max.). This is the fault of my router's WiFi, not the iPad, as wired computers on the network are fine at 1080p. I hope this info. helps others.

Jul 18, 2014 11:32 AM in response to 2tired2care

Yes I get the same issue on my iPad air with the YouTube app.

I'll be watching a YouTube video and every 30 seconds or so it will degrade to a lower quality for a few seconds, then the HD will come back on.

I have 160 Mbit internet and this does not happen on the desktop PC.

I loaded an alternative YouTube player onto my iPad and there was no such issue, so the problem is the official ipad app - its fantastic, but playback is poor recently, for some reason.

What I have noticed is that the video does not seam to load ahead at all, there is no grey bar loading the video ahead of playback anymore.

I think the app needs fixed.

Jan 25, 2015 6:12 AM in response to 2tired2care

I have this problem. I had the iPad 2 and Sky broadband. If I tried to skip through a video it would buffer and just stick. I spoke to Sky and they said it was the iPad. So I upgraded to the iPad Air. No different at all. I tried the DNS 8.8.8.8 and it seemed to help a bit, but not much. So now I watch YouTube through Google Chrome and it works perfect. It's not as easy to use though. I agree that it started with the IOS 7 update and 8 has made no difference. I can't understand why it works OK through Chrome though. It must be a setting or a fault in the app. When I changed from the iPad 2 to the Air I was thinking of getting the Samsung tablet. I wish I had now. I changed my phone from iPhone to LG G2 and I've not regretted it at all.

Sep 28, 2015 9:24 PM in response to 2tired2care

I have a wireless only iPad. I had trouble streaming video in general from inside the Facebook app, Safari, and/or the youtube app. I had better luck in Chrome, but even that was not great. After trying a few changes with the YouTube app settings and with no luck, I turned off my bluetooth. That immediately changed everything and all video is streaming as expected now.

sidenote. I Also have an iPhone 6plus, but did not experience any problems with this device, or with my previous iPhone 4. this allowed me to rule out router/bandwith issues.

Youtube App buffering issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.