Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Limit Network Data Allowance

I am in a remote location, so I have to use sattelite internet. The bandwith is fast, but we have limited data allowance (the largest we can get, 25GB/month). We have a network of Airport Extremes (with timecapsule base station). we have been hitting our cap very quickly, so I would like to create a Guest Network that limits each user to 1 gb. Is it possible to do this within airport utility? Does anyone have any better suggestions?

OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Jun 8, 2014 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2014 2:07 PM

Apple do not provide any QoS or indeed just about any other ability beyond the most basic.

Setting limits to usage is not easy though. There are extremely few routers out of the box that can do it. None in the domestic market.

You can buy a router.. not expensive. eg Netgear WNDR3800 (hard to get new now, but easy enough on ebay)

Or TP-Link WDR3600, and flash it over to gargoyle firmware. I am not allowed to give you URL (apple delete my posts) but you can look it up easily enough. Flash is easy to do.. this is nothing more than a firmware update but using a non-standard firmware. The firmware includes throttling and quota based on IP address. So the apple routers can all work in bridge to it.. you can provide guest via the Gargoyle router or use a apple router plugged in by ethernet as guest.. and all IP on that guest account will be throttled. (Guest is not possible on the apple router in bridge, so you will use main wireless with a different name, since it seems you have several units).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2014 2:07 PM in response to Tyler of Sonoma

Apple do not provide any QoS or indeed just about any other ability beyond the most basic.

Setting limits to usage is not easy though. There are extremely few routers out of the box that can do it. None in the domestic market.

You can buy a router.. not expensive. eg Netgear WNDR3800 (hard to get new now, but easy enough on ebay)

Or TP-Link WDR3600, and flash it over to gargoyle firmware. I am not allowed to give you URL (apple delete my posts) but you can look it up easily enough. Flash is easy to do.. this is nothing more than a firmware update but using a non-standard firmware. The firmware includes throttling and quota based on IP address. So the apple routers can all work in bridge to it.. you can provide guest via the Gargoyle router or use a apple router plugged in by ethernet as guest.. and all IP on that guest account will be throttled. (Guest is not possible on the apple router in bridge, so you will use main wireless with a different name, since it seems you have several units).

Limit Network Data Allowance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.