Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound keeps going on my iPad

For some reason the internal sound keeps going on the iPad can anyone tell me why ? I do know how to get it back but it's a long winded way

iPad 2

Posted on Jun 8, 2014 4:07 PM

6 replies

Jun 8, 2014 4:38 PM in response to PD DRUMS

This is honestly a WAG but here are some standard repair procedures:

First, try a system reset. It cures many ills and it's quick, easy and harmless...

Hold down the on/off switch and the Home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it appears. You will not lose any apps, data, music, movies, settings, etc.

If the Reset doesn't work, try a Restore. Note that it's nowhere near as quick as a Reset. It could take well over an hour! Connect via cable to the computer that you use for sync. From iTunes, select the iPad/iPod and then select the Summary tab. Follow the on-screen directions for Restore and be sure to say "yes" to the backup. You will be warned that all data (apps, music, movies, etc.) will be erased but, as the Restore finishes, you will be asked if you wish the contents of the backup to be copied to the iPad/iPod. Again, say "yes."

At the end of the basic Restore, you will be asked if you wish to sync the iPad/iPod. As before, say "yes." Note that that sync selection will disappear and the Restore will end if you do not respond within a reasonable time. If that happens, only the apps that are part of the IOS will appear on your device. Corrective action is simple - choose manual "Sync" from the bottom right of iTunes.

If you're unable to do the Restore (or it doesn't help), go into Recovery Mode per the instructions here. You WILL lose all of your data (game scores, etc,) but, for the most part, you can redownload apps and music without being charged again. Also, if you have IOS-7, read this.

Jun 8, 2014 4:44 PM in response to PD DRUMS

If you explained how you are getting the sound back working again, that might give us some insight as to how to resolve the problem for you. On the other hand, it might not do any good at all, but we won't know unless you share that information with us.

It could be an app conflict. I have read where some apps have caused sound to drop out on iOS devices and when the app was deleted or close completely the sound would return. That's is purely anecdotal as I have never seen concrete evidence of that working so I'm just passing along information that I have seen posted here and in YouTube videos.

You could have a hardware problem like a bad connection somewhere that causes the sound to come and go.

It's really difficult to tell what could be causing this without some real detailed information from you. When does it happen, how often, any pattern to it .....?

EDIT

I just read your response in the wrong discussion about changing the system language and that's how you get the sound back so you can try this. You will have to re enter all of the device settings again, but you will not lose any data.

Settings> General> Reset> Reset all Settings.

Jun 8, 2014 4:46 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Hi Philly ,

Thanks for your reply but I have actually done this and it keeps happening , but I do have a way of getting it back which is pretty weird but you probably know that trick , I'm just curious as to why it happens ? It only seems to happen when playing music or videos from web etc , the alerts still work but you can't hear any audio or video ? I've looked at the connections and tryed all manner of things it's really annoying ! I wonder if there will an update to fix this ?

Dec 31, 2014 9:55 AM in response to PD DRUMS

Ive just had my iPad Air replaced because of persistent sound issues - disappearing, distortion, coming and going. Guess what? My new replacement has just lost its sound! Tried the change language trick and it worked. Before I had to keep fully switching off and on again to reset which sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. Thanks for this tip but the issue clearly needs a bug fix Apple if you are listening It goes across several different models evidently

Sound keeps going on my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.