Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound icon greyed out?

The sound icon on the bar at the top of my screen is greyed out. I cannot get any sound. This problem came a while ago and I reset my PRAM but it didn't do anything. How do I fix this?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Jun 8, 2014 8:34 PM

1 reply

Jun 11, 2014 6:38 AM in response to matt4086288

Hey there Matt,

It sounds like you are not getting any sound on your computer and your speaker icon in the menu bar is grayed out. I would use the troubleshooting from the following article to help isolate the issue or resolve it:

Troubleshooting issues with no audio from built-in speakers on Macs

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1574

Start with this step, and continue with the article if needed:

Confirm the correct version of Mac OS X is installed on your Apple computer

If an incorrect version of Mac OS X is installed onto an Apple computer, a number of issues—including issues with audio—could occur. The article Don't install a version of Mac OS X earlier than that which came with your Maccontains more information on some of these issues you may encounter. You can also refer to Mac OS X versions (builds) included with Intel-based Macs or Mac OS: Versions, builds included with PowerPC Macs (since 1998) to confirm the version you have is correct.

If you determine the version of Mac OS X installed on your Apple computer is incorrect, you may need to perform an archive and installor erase and install. Be sure to back up important information before proceeding with either option.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care,

Sterling

Sound icon greyed out?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.